Super pump new motor issues

Blschulte

May 1, 2018
Ariton, AL
Recently just had to replace the motor on a hayward proseries sand filter. Old motor was making a sound like it was grinding rocks, went and got the new motor, installed it, and when switched on it immediately tripped the breaker. Not sure as to whether it’s the wrong motor or an electrical issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attached some photos to see!

Attachments

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Please make sure you have your pump configured for the same setting as before. It appears the motor is for both 115/230. Outside of this, it could be the capacitor, but start with the settings. My pump just gave out and what a learning experience.

Blschulte

May 1, 2018
Ariton, AL
Settings are on 115 and still tripping the breaker. If it’s the capacitor should i just take it back? We just bought it yesterday so we should have no trouble getting them to replace it

satpoolman

In The Industry
Jun 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Make sure that the new motor is setup for the correct supply voltage. Check that wiring coming through the motor housing to make sure the insulation is still good and not shorting out to the motor case. It's hard to tell from you pic, but that wiring insulation looks suspect..especially the white wire. Be extra careful when working with electricity.

Regards,
E

May 23, 2012
It's hard to tell from the picture but the hot wire (black) looks like it could also be compromised where it is entering the pump. Could possibly be grounding out against the pump body which would also trip your breaker. I'd check those wires to make sure the insulation is intact.