Super dense mesh vs solid cover with pump

Jul 27, 2016
Texas
All the research I have done points me towards getting a super dense mesh cover. The pool builder is pushing hard for a solid cover with a pump, he says water will be green with the mesh covers. Can anyone give me some advice here? I am in NY...I plan on opening late April and Closing in early October to take advantage of any warm days we have in May/September.

Pool will have an autocover as well. In fact the pool builders first recommendation was to use the autocover as the winter cover to avoid drilling holes in the pavers, but I don't want to risk damaging the autocover.

He’s lying outright or just doesn’t know. Thousands of members have 95 mesh and open to clear water. Sure there might be some fine stuff on the bottom but a quick vacuum removes that. Solid covers are a pita and what if your pump fails? Put on a mesh cover, if tightened properly with no sitting water on it, any leaves or debris will just blow away.

Reactions: bmoreswim
I have a 20 year old Meyco mesh cover and close/open the same months as you. I don't have any issues, though I sometimes have to drain some water from the pool over the winter season when the rain and snow brings the water level up to the skimmers. You don't want ice forming at the level of your tiles since it can break them.

Thanks for the responses. I am looking at 99% meshes. Any reasons to go with a 95% (besides lower cost)? I don’t think the builder is lying...I am buying the cover myself as the one he sells is custom in my pool size and will be a lot more expensive.

I won’t have any tile to worry about (fiberglass - no waterline tile). Do I have to worry about damage to the skimmer from ice if the pool fills up in winter?

The mesh sizes allow bigger particles to go through. Mine is about as solid as can be but still considered mesh. Even water doesn’t go through at first until it saturates the cover for a few minutes. The only particles that get through mine are super fine dust and silt. Anything else that gets in did so under the cover while it was blowing in the wind

I have a mesh cover. Your pool will look green, but not with algae. It will collect dust and pollen all fall and winter. This collects at the bottom and makes your water look murky. If you close the pool when the water is in the low 60s, you won't have algae in the spring. In the spring, if you brush the pool and vacuum regularly the first week, your water will be crystal clear by the second week.

I had a solid cover first year - never again.

Yeah. Two passes with the vacuum clears up the floor usually and only because the first pass stirs it up some.

I have a solid with the mesh drain. Based on when you’re opening and closing a good mesh should be fine. The solid keeps more out, but I still have to vacuum when I open. I tend to open late and close early, thus the decision to go with solid over mesh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.