Sun shelf, yea or nay?

We’re building a 15x30 pool and have a 6x6 Sun shelf in the design. Builder says he wouldn’t do it as it eats up pool space. We think it’ll be cool place to sit and relax. For those with and without, love them or leave them?
I have one in my pool and cant wait to use it. I included an umbrella sleeve as well. There is also a step out of the pool from the deck, we used flagstone as opposed to the pebble sheen.

Hi. Forget about what the pool builder says. It's your pool not his.

You just need to decide what features you want and how you want to enjoy your pool. I Hope this gives you some perspective.

To answer your question. I have one. It's perfect depth for my kids and my wifey likes to just get her legs wet sometimes. So no regrets here.

Reactions: Cali Splash
While I don't particularly care for them they have their place in the right setting. An overly large shelf in my opinion is a pure waste of pool space. That's what a pool deck is for. This past season I was introduced to a new pool just finished with a very high price tag which also includeed the deck and landscaping. Don't remember the exact size but 20X40 is likely. This pool had a sun shelf full width and probably 10 feet in. To me it's the dumbest pool I've ever seen mind you this is a vinyl so it's not like you can put just any lounger in it. A few feet in from there is a steep drop off to the eight foot depth so very little true shallow depth here for the young ones. At least it's vinyl so for some coin it can be changed easily but what were they thinking when this was planned.

It’s an opinion like anything else. And we all have different likes / needs. My wife is one who absolutely loves the pool, but rarely cares to swim. She would LOVE the hang out spot. But i used those monies to make more pool to actually use like a pool both times.

It’s the age old form over function debate and nobody is wrong.

We are essentially building the same size pool now and we are doing a 8’x6’ sun shelf. Our community pool has a sun shelf and we typically end up spending most of our time on it so we think we’ll get plenty of use out of it.

Ours under construction has one about 6x8 w 6" water depth and an umbrella holder. It does take up swimming space and although we haven't been able to use it yet, I think it we will like it. Only thing that I might have done differently is make it a walk in instead of step down. I think our dog may like it as well. Will see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.