Sump pit recommendation

Roundy

Jul 10, 2019
Georgia
Hello all,

I have not seen pools with a sump pit or sump tube, maybe I never noticed. However several friends have pools and no sump. I am in Georgia with red clay. I am putting in a radiant pool (above ground that can be buried). I am putting mostly in ground (48"). The instructions state to put a cement color 8" thick 12" wide around the pool. (more for walk in step area). The dig is about 1-2 feet wider than the pool will be. They state to put a drain pipe on top of the cement collar, then back fill with Gravel ( not to use the dirt). My area is not above the surrounding areas to have a gravity drain 3-4 feet below the top of the pool. I am thinking to put sump basin that would sit below the cement collar and then pipe the water up 2-3 feet where I could drain it. Is this what is recommended? I have not seen others do a sump, but maybe because the in ground I see are cement bottom.

One or more well points or sump pit with submersible pumps is a common way to drain water from around pools. @jimmythegreek has commented before about well point placement.

From How Many Well points does it take??

Not a fan of well points. They don't work well in many soils. If you dont have sandy type the water wont flow to them. Best is a sump pit using a 10" PVC standpipe and a large hole around it filled with clean gravel and filter fabric. Depth to the deep point of the pool about even with deep end.

You have the right idea. Backfill with all clean gravel 3/4" and run a perforated pipe pitched back to a 10 or 12 inch PVC standpipe. Drill holes to accept the pipe into standpipe wrap the overdid with filter fabric and also around the standpipe. Run a 1.5 inch PVC pipe from the standpipe to where you want to drain the water and drill a hole thru standpipe for that line. Then PVC pipe with a check valve the sump to the drain line. You need a vertical float pump and check the specs to ne sure it fits into a 10" sump pit. Almost any pump can fit into a 12" the 10s are preferred because you can cover with a skimmer lid if you aren't worried about covering it with nicer lid go 12" and put a end cap over it

Reactions: JRMoody
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.