Summer Waves - 14 ×48 (Can't Winterize??)

Ebburns

Jun 28, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I made the jump this year from an easy set pool to this Summer Waves 14 ft. in plans to upgrade when needed again (2/3 yrs) and am hoping to prepare (level) my pool area ONCE. I realize I'll have to touch it up a bit. I will probably just go to 16 foot next time nothing too large.

However, I just started reading the manual last night and it states that I cannot leave this thing up!! That I have to take it down for the winter since we get below freezing here in Southern Ohio. I was so devastated! This purchase was one that I researched hours to make and obviously didn't research enough.

My question: Aren't there loads if people on here that keep there metal framed pools up?? Isn't that a thing? The ground will probably all have to be redone next year if I have to take it out this winter. Help! I'm only trying for 2/3 summers isn't it possible?

My next question is what's best to have down around the pool for covering the ground to best make the jump from 14 ft to say 16 foot later?

Thanks for any help. I'm freaking out because you can't find pools anywhere? And The Pool Factory are all basically regular price now.

There are people here who leave the pools up year round in northern climates. Does yours have the combo skimmer and pump?
As far as prep goes level out a 18 foot area spray it down well with nutgrass killer. Set your pavers flush with the level ground and cover it all with a tarp.

My Intex said not to leave it up, but I read on here a lot did. I think they say that for liability, if something happens due to ice they don’t have to cover it because they said not to leave it up.

Here is my 26’ Intex in January
full

And here it is Saturday as I started cleaning, filling, and hooking up the pump to get it going for the season.
full

You have to drain below all openings then remove all hoses and drain the filter and put the pump and filter inside for the winter where they won’t freeze. But many here have had good luck leaving it up all winter.

Reactions: Ebburns
There are people here who leave the pools up year round in northern climates. Does yours have the combo skimmer and pump?
As far as prep goes level out a 18 foot area spray it down well with nutgrass killer. Set your pavers flush with the level ground and cover it all with a tarp.
Mine does have the combo skimmer/pump that installs on the wall of the pool. I'm very nervous about that set up because I always had a hard time loosening to top off my other one that sat on the ground to clean the cartridge daily.

Now the installation manual doesn't say to add pavers. I've got a bit of a hill I have to dig into further now with this pool being bigger. Maybe down 12 inches but this pool can't be backfilled so I was going to regrade as best as I could fanning it out and down prior to low flat spot.. But with this whole thing I wonder if I should just pull the trigger on the Saltwater 5000 and it allows backfill and then I'm done hopefully for 15/20 years o hope. It's gonna be like 2-3k more ugh...

My Intex said not to leave it up, but I read on here a lot did. I think they say that for liability, if something happens due to ice they don’t have to cover it because they said not to leave it up.

Here is my 26’ Intex in January
full

And here it is Saturday as I started cleaning, filling, and hooking up the pump to get it going for the season.
full

You have to drain below all openings then remove all hoses and drain the filter and put the pump and filter inside for the winter where they won’t freeze. But many here have had good luck leaving it up all winter.
Thank you for that! I just might take the risk!!

I wouldn’t sweat it. Leave it up all year shouldn’t be an issue, especially if you are only looking to get 2 or 3 years out of it.
Honestly, the more you take it down and store, the more likely you are to see pin holes develop where there were corner folds.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense with folding it for storing! Thank you!

I had a summer waves w/ the skimmer & left it up for multiple winters (winterized) - it came with basically a fish tank bubbler for the pump- you can remove that & the terrible filter & put the round plate that comes with it to seal the hole. Then get u a decent sized intex pump & sand filter (or other brand) There are several here who have done this. Also several YouTube videos on the subject.

I have an Intex and I left it up this past winter. There is no way I am taking that thing down every year. I also didn't put it on pavers (I know, shame on me).
It seems to have survived though. Even my pillow is still inflated! I have a bit of pumping out to do.

Attachments

• 20210322_110347.jpg
    20210322_110347.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 13
I made the jump this year from an easy set pool to this Summer Waves 14 ft. in plans to upgrade when needed again (2/3 yrs) and am hoping to prepare (level) my pool area ONCE. I realize I'll have to touch it up a bit. I will probably just go to 16 foot next time nothing too large.

However, I just started reading the manual last night and it states that I cannot leave this thing up!! That I have to take it down for the winter since we get below freezing here in Southern Ohio. I was so devastated! This purchase was one that I researched hours to make and obviously didn't research enough.

My question: Aren't there loads if people on here that keep there metal framed pools up?? Isn't that a thing? The ground will probably all have to be redone next year if I have to take it out this winter. Help! I'm only trying for 2/3 summers isn't it possible?

My next question is what's best to have down around the pool for covering the ground to best make the jump from 14 ft to say 16 foot later?

Thanks for any help. I'm freaking out because you can't find pools anywhere? And The Pool Factory are all basically regular price now.
I bought same pool last year as you.left up all year during ice storms and heavy snow bought winter cover and pillow. Pillow busted but pool is in tack but really dirty still cleaning after 3 weeks of opening it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wanted to throw in a suggestion of what I am doing for anyone in the future searching for a winterize solution.
My SFX skimmer/pump came with a "water stopper" (also purchasable as a replacement part). It is basically a flexible black plastic circle that goes up against the skimmer opening on the inside of the pool wall for pump maintenance. It does not have a way to be secured into the skimmer opening.
Since the skimmer seal ring is a part that I can get a replacement of, I have Liquid Nailed the water stopper plate to the seal ring and then silicone caulked the inside. This screws onto the skimmer canister like normal and has a water-tight seal. I've put in the return plug and screwed the nut over it for a water-tight seal for the return opening. I drained out the skimmer-return hose and skimmer canister. I also purchased a sand filter conversion plate for the bottom of the skimmer canister so I can remove the motor and store for the winter and still have a canister that has a seal on the bottom so my water level won't drop too low in case something happens with the skimmer seal
I syphon vacuumed (over the pool wall and out to the ground) for a nice thorough clean, net skimmed the top, filled the water level to the very brim to keep the winter cover from collecting so much rain/snow/ice, got my alkalinity level correct, pH level correct, and double+ shocked the water. Put the winter cover on and ran the cord behind each frame leg for a secure cover. Also, used a hand shrink wrapper roll to seal up the cover edges.
Hope this helps anyone who wants to winterize keeping their water level high and also wants to drain out the skimmer and hose and store the motor. I extensively Googled for some way to seal up the skimmer opening so I could keep my water level high but found NOTHING.

We have had our Intex up now for 4 straight years. Zero issues.
Taking down this year to upgrade to a larger one which will also remain up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.