daisylubob

Jun 1, 2020
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After an initial meltdown with getting my pool up, now I have taken it apart and down. I loved having it for the summer, it was really not that difficult to care for. I'd also like to finish around it with landscape border and cedar mulch, so I can winterize and leave up nest year. The ground needs some leveling, which is in process. I did not use pavers under the legs, that may have been part of the issue with water level being off as there was some leg sinking into softer dirt. Questions for next year:
1. Can I use solid bricks for pavers under the legs?
2. Dig a hole and put the top of the brick/paver even and level with the dirt?
3. How wide should the border around the pool be? Is 1 foot enough?
4. How do I keep the cedar from washing out under the pool? Put plastic between liner and mulch, and then another layer of plastic underneath?
5. What about drainage in the border, poke holes in plastic?
6. THe ladder that came with it is lame, I am building steps/deck for the outside, what about inside steps? Some steps look like they take up alot of room in the pool.
7. Who lets their dogs in the pool, and how does that work out if you do?

That's it for now. thanks for reading and helping a newbie out :)

1. Can I use solid bricks for pavers under the legs?
Yes, use these from Lowes.. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cap-Concre...ctual-3-625-in-x-7-625-in-x-15-625-in/3608974

2. Dig a hole and put the top of the brick/paver even and level with the dirt?
Yes, and level with each other using a water level. Make one of these and at 9 minutes he shows how to use it..

3. How wide should the border around the pool be? Is 1 foot enough?
I did about 2 feet but 1 foot would be good...

4. How do I keep the cedar from washing out under the pool? Put plastic between liner and mulch, and then another layer of plastic underneath?
use rock as there is no way to keep the cedar/mulch there when it rains.... I had sand from my initial grading of the pool and that is all that is there now, no rock, no plastic, no nothing...

5. What about drainage in the border, poke holes in plastic?
no plastic

6. THe ladder that came with it is lame, I am building steps/deck for the outside, what about inside steps? Some steps look like they take up alot of room in the pool.
we bought these steps and love them, no issues in 5 years in the pool as I do not take them out ever... we did not fill with sand and I used weights to keep down.... I think sand will be easier..

7. Who lets their dogs in the pool, and how does that work out if you do?
We do but they are little dogs... some do some don't..

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Casey has it all covered i just wanted to add that mulch will definitely float when it rains & then wash away if u have no border. i did that for a couple of years as i knew it wasn’t my permanent pool place & mulch is biodegradable. Later i did the wash gravel (medium/large) over the ground tarp & it worked out pretty well. I just had to be diligent about the round up as i have some agressive bermuda. Before we did the “big dig” for our 33ft above ground i had the kids go scoop up all the rocks in buckets so i could put them in the flower beds since the mulch washout there was really annoying 78F91B9E-7B82-446F-A66F-592A9BEF039D.jpegB43E7CF3-D330-4DB5-9D22-AAC0DADD9E24.jpeg

Reactions: cowboycasey
lots of good advice thanks. a few more questions:

1. Those pavers are HUGE! do they need to be that big? should i put them in this fall, or wait til spring 2021?
2. I think the building of water level is a bit beyond my mechanical engineering expertise..:laughblue:
4. I thought about this later, the mulch.If it does not wash out of a garden that has a landscape border, why would it wash out on the sides of the pool?
5. So the tarp/plastic I have under the pool should NOT go beyond the border of pool? Put the rocks/mulch right next to liner?
6. Nice ladder!! a bit above my budget, but gives me ideas.
7. My dogs are Labs, they would LOVE to go in the pool!!!

U can use the 12x12, the ones half that size (rectangle) or even the smaller brick sized ones for that size pool - the bigger the paver the less it will sink over time but the more u have to dig initially 😁 if the area is prone to washing I wouldn’t use the brick sized ones.
for my little pool I didn’t have a border around most of it & the mulch was constantly getting eaten by the mower, washing away & getting in the pool . The rocks stayed put but it’s alot of work to shovel a truck load of rocks. Mulch is fairly cheap.
my ground cover for the 16x48 pool was a square & stuck out all around so i used it as a partial barrier & put the rocks on top.

Mdragger88 - thanks for those ideas, that helps me to visualize it better. If i put the plastic landscape border 12-16" away from the pool wall and put cedar mulch in, that should be Ok. It's just me, no kids (well 2 dogs) to mess it up. Should I cut the ground cover to go around the legs, since it is bigger than the pool? I scored on 16 12"x12" pavers for FREE, from a local landscape company!!!

Mdragger88 - thanks for those ideas, that helps me to visualize it better. If i put the plastic landscape border 12-16" away from the pool wall and put cedar mulch in, that should be Ok. It's just me, no kids (well 2 dogs) to mess it up. Should I cut the ground cover to go around the legs, since it is bigger than the pool? I scored on 16 12"x12" pavers for FREE, from a local landscape company!!!
I just pulled it around the legs on each side & laid the mulch/rocks on top to cover it up.

Mdragger88 ok thanks. Any hints/advice on effeciently digging the 12x12x2 holes?
Just make sure u level all the way across from paver to paver & of course the entire pool circle - shouldn’t be too bad since u already have it going somewhat. The virgin ground is just like hair - u can’t put it back so just take off a little at a time 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.