Suggestions on how to fix bowing oval pool...

MHaley1980

Jun 8, 2020
Northwest Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We had someone come and reinstall our 18x34 foot doughboy pool recently. Things looked great until it was completely filled, but now the sides are bowing out bad and the pressure plates under the pool have lifted. He had originally told us he would be out to fix the issue and asked us to drain the pool overnight. We did, and he never showed up. He says the sides are bowing because we didn't backfill before we fully filled the pool so it's not his fault. The pool was filled less than 8 hours before this happened so I doubt the lack of backfill is the issue. I have poked around the uprights and can't find blocks or pavers he said he used under them. We are thinking the easiest fix would be to add buttresses or braces to our existing buttress free uprights with concrete footings underneath them. Im trying to avoid having to take the whole pool down and having to do the digging/leveling process all over again. Is this a possibility? I'm open for suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_141257.jpg
    IMG_20200806_141257.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200807_105230.jpg
    IMG_20200807_105230.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200821_230254.jpg
    20200821_230254.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 63
I would be digging all of the dirt out from around the pool to see where the legs and wall channels are in relation to the wall. Also to make sure there IS something under the legs or where the legs should be.

Yeah, I’m feeling like I wouldn‘t rely on his word - I would want to see for myself that he put the proper support under each upright.

Reactions: kimkats
Chin up. You're in good hands now. Work the steps. Work the installer. You WILL get this straightened out and your kids WILL be having the times of their lives. This is just a fixable glitch...

Reactions: kimkats
Honestly, you're not going to fix any of these issues unless you take the pool down.

I’m so sorry, it really stinks when you pay someone good money and they do shoddy work.

When it is fixed, it will last for years - hang in there!

So Sisterhood, there seems to be a conflicting approach. Does she dig or take the pool down or go after this guy? Can you give her a step-by-step task list? Or the first few steps? Or @MHaley1980, are you clear on what to do (and I'm just not getting it)? Thanks!

Since you have already poked around and see no evidence of blocks where they should be, I don’t think you are going to have peace of mind until you take it down and do it right.

How did you choose this installer? He should come back out and show you exactly where the nonexistent supports are. Definitely would follow up and try to insist on remediation, but I think you need a plan B if he won’t budge.

If you end up having to pay more to get this done right, I would be leaving reviews all over the place. Yelp, Angie’s List, etc.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I offer the idea of digging down to see if there are blocks. Once they find there are no blocks (I really don't think there are but need to know for sure) then they take down and start all over :(

The leveling of the ground will still be there. It is the prep of the blocks and such that are in question.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.