Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My PB included a single actuator with an EasyTouch P4, and it was for controlling the waterfall feature on/off. During the build, I upgraded the controller to a EasyTouch PS4-SCG, and this kit includes two actuators. So I now have 3 actuators to use in the setup. The electric crew wired them up, and but didn't install them on any of the valves.

So looking at the layout, I'm wondering how I should ask for them to be set, to give me some useful functions.

1596805051779.png

My thought right now is to have them install an actuator on
  1. The 2-way return valve, to control waterfall vs. the other returns
  2. The 2-way suction valve, to control skimmers vs floor drain
  3. The return/pressure cleaner port cut-off valve
Does that seem like the best use of the actuators? I don't see any reason to install actuators on the Skimmer suction valves; unless I'm missing something?

What I'm not sure about is how to set the stops and configure the ET for control though.

Should the waterfall valve stops (actuator 1) be set to 100% returns (so the waterfall can be turned off), and the other stop set to the 50% mark for equal flow to both?
Then the return/pressure cleaner port cut-off valve (actuator 3) can be set to 100% open, and 100% closed, so I can operate the waterfall without the returns if I want to?

Will the ET allow "scene" configuration, where for example, I can have a scene called "Slow Solo Waterfall" which would set actuator 1 to the 50% mark, actuator 3 to 100% closed, and the VSF pump to say 600 RPM? So only the waterfall receives return water at a slow rate...

For the skimmer vs floor drain suction, I was thinking to set the stops to 20% on both sides.
This would allow me to operate it one of two modes, right?
  1. 80% skimmers, 20% drain
  2. 20% skimmers 80 % drain

I appreciate any input, or even just confirmation my approach is a good one :)

Stoop,

In my mind you are just making work for yourself and it will not help run your pool in any way..

Main drains are almost useless, so just set your main drain at 10% and leave it there.. Each skimmer should be set so that they both have the same amount of suction at the skimmer itself.. The far skimmer will always have less suction, so you should have that valve open 100% Then adjust the near skimmer so that it has about the same suction that you can feel at the far skimmer..

Obviously, you want to be able to control the waterfall with a valve..

You could add a valve to your cleaner port but your plumbing is currently not setup to do that.

Edit.. Your EasyTouch can only control two valves.. There are 4 valve drivers, but two of them will only work to switch between the pool and spa modes.. That leaves you with valve A and B..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks @Jimrahbe , very helpful.

My thought on the floor drain vs. skimmers was just for bringing the cooler water at the bottom up to the top, since heat rises. But from your comments, it sounds like that's just not necessary.

For "Pool" and "Spa" mode of the PS4, what would that cause to actuate if I did have a spa? Does it just close off the pool suction and returns when in "Spa" mode, and in turn, close off the Spa suction and returns when in pool mode?

Or does pool mode typically open both the pool and spa suctions and returns, and spa mode closes the ones to/from the pool?

S,

The Intake and Return valve drivers move both valves one way when in the Pool mode and the other way when in the Spa mode.. There operation is fixed and not user adjustable.. With Valve A and B, you tell the valve when to move...

With Valve A and B, you can assign them to an Aux circuit or a Feature circuit to control them.

The Intake and Return valves, will only change when switching between the Pool mode and the Spa mode. You can still use them, but the only way to make them move is to switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode..

And just to be clear.. Valves will move from one stop to the other.. They only have two positions.. You can set the stops where you want, but the valve will still only move from one stop to the other stop..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Stoopalini
Jim, Stoop...I am not familiar with the EasyTouch P4 but previously used a very limited Hayward Ecommand4 which seems to have some of the same restrictions: (1) 2 actuator drivers for AUX + 2 actuator drivers for pool/spa (2) only 4 relays total for control of other things including the pump power/speed

Since I (like Stoop) don’t have spa, I used the SPA selection to turn my valve to the waterfalls...in addition, this gave me two-speed remote control of the flow for the waterfall (spa hi/lo...EasyTouch may have a similar options?). Something to consider if you want to save the AUX functions for other things like lights, etc. It also allows the two other actuator drivers to be used for some other purpose (if you can find something to do with them, haha).

Don’t know if this is possible or advantageous in this case but thought i’d throw it out there.

Jon,

There are all kinds of things you can do with the EasyTouch that are not "in the manual"... Using the Spa mode, when you don't have a Spa is one of them.

I don't have a heater or a Spa, but use my EasyTouch to control the temperature of my standalone Spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.