Suggestions on cleaning the white buildup at my waterline. and what is causing it?

SlipperyPete

Sep 19, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
I've seen this occur in the past, and I've been able to kind of rub it off with my hand. However, I noticed the line Sunday when cleaning the pool and testing the water. Sunday I tried to rub it off with my hand. No luck. Last night I was not able to scrub it off with a brush. After reading suggestions from other threads, I did a small test section with muriatic acid, and I think it helped. So my first question is: what is the best method to clean this with muriatic acid (spray bottle, large sprayer, plastic brush, ratio, etc)? My pool tile is not smooth so I'm not sure pumice would help.

As for the cause... I spent some time re-reading the info on the ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry. I think I'm missing something. We've had a lot of rain lately so my most recent water test was probably the most out whack test I've done so far. My water hardness was low. Two weeks ago it was 220 and being just outside the range, I didn't do anything. I tested it again Sunday and it was at 125. So I was able to pick up 16 lbs of Pool Time Calcium Hardness Increaser from Home Depot. Pool math said to add 33 lbs, so I have some more coming in from Amazon today. My PH was 7.8, but my TA was 37. Baking soda is arriving today and will be added. I'm guessing I need to pick up some extra. If I'm adding MA to the pool to clean the tile, I may have to keep checking the TA and PH as that gets done.

Just another note, I typically use household bleach for my chlorine. However, I have used some pool tablets from leslie's lately b/c my CYA was getting low with all the rain we've had. My pool builder also left some 73% cal hypo that I used a few times recently when I am out of bleach.

I appreciate any advice on what I could be doing wrong to cause the line around the tiles. It should be noted that my water is usually crystal clear. My biggest headache with the pool is my neighbor has a couple of pine trees that drop sap in and around my pool. I only mention the pine sap b/c I haven't seen anything saying that would affect my pool chemistry either way. As always... thanks to everyone for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_8214.jpg
    IMG_8214.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8213.jpg
    IMG_8213.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 25
I clean mine up with a "cone" style brass brush on a drill. Takes it off pretty quickly if you haven't let it build up too much. Most of mine is from shallow area ( steps, shelves and spa} splash spots from pop up in pool cleaning heads and high CH Las Vegas water.

I clean mine up with a "cone" style brass brush on a drill. Takes it off pretty quickly if you haven't let it build up too much.
I need to test that out. I don't know how durable my tile is. This is what I have. Verona - Tondela Blue

Most of mine is from shallow area ( steps, shelves and spa} splash spots from pop up in pool cleaning heads and high CH Las Vegas water.
Now that you mention it, that is where mine is the worst... tanning ledge and spa (with arm rest around it)

Yes...pool water splashes on the upper portion of the tile and evaporates in the las vegas heat leaving only the minerals. I thought most pool tile was either ceramic or porcelain which should not be harmed by a brass brush which is not as hard as a steel brush. I think that some pool tile is glass which might get scratched if using a brush on a drill.

I may have to try the brass brush unless I can get something else to work. I spent about 35-40 minutes in the spa this evening scrubbing and I don’t think I accomplished anything. I mixed muriatic acid and water 1:1 in a spray bottle. I used a pretty stiff plastic brush that is stiffer than my normal pool brush. After spray and scrubbing, then lines looked the same as they dried. When the tile is wet, it looks fine. But all I had to do was be still in the spa for a few minutes and the lines slowly reappeared.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.