Suggestions on Backwash System

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys:
I have my inground pool for a year now, everything is pretty good with one exception. Backwashing. I have to hook up a giant flex PVC hose and run it about 30 feet to my driveway. I need a better system than this...open to suggestions. I wonder if at the angle I have could I just use a pool vacuum hose and change the PVC connection on the end so it fits.
Thoughts ?

Attachments

• PoolFilter.png
    PoolFilter.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FlexPVC.png
    FlexPVC.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 3
What's wrong with regular backwash hose? You can get it in a 50' length. It rolls up nice when you aren't using it. Big caveat, though: You must make sure it is unrolled nicely with no twists or kinks or it will pop rather than untwist when you start backwashing. Take my word for it. And you need to clamp it to the outlet with a hose clamp.

Reactions: Caffeine Chemist
What's wrong with regular backwash hose? You can get it in a 50' length. It rolls up nice when you aren't using it. Big caveat, though: You must make sure it is unrolled nicely with no twists or kinks or it will pop rather than untwist when you start backwashing. Take my word for it. And you need to clamp it to the outlet with a hose clamp.
tried that. It is too flimsy to handle the right angle it has to do to point to the street. I bought a 50 ft one from walmart and it split immediately on first time use. I have used those in the past when I just had to point it straight to the woods behind my house(at the time) .
I was thinking if I connect a pool vacuum hose it would work. Wondering what type of connector I can use so maybe I can just screw it/clamp it on/off easily

tried that. It is too flimsy to handle the right angle it has to do to point to the street. I bought a 50 ft one from walmart and it split immediately on first time use. I have used those in the past when I just had to point it straight to the woods behind my house(at the time) .
I was thinking if I connect a pool vacuum hose it would work. Wondering what type of connector I can use so maybe I can just screw it/clamp it on/off easily
I have a threaded adaptor on my outlet and screw one of these in to clamp the hose to.

I have a threaded adaptor on my outlet and screw one of these in to clamp the hose to.
But you are clamping a soft rubber hose though right ? I am trying to think of a solution for a vacuum hose...hmm...I wonder if I can use some pvc cement to secure it to the adapter you listed above and then just screw it into the sand filter backwash outlet when needed.

But you are clamping a soft rubber hose though right ? I am trying to think of a solution for a vacuum hose...hmm...I wonder if I can use some pvc cement to secure it to the adapter you listed above and then just screw it into the sand filter backwash outlet when needed.
Vacuum hose is polyethylene or polypropylene. Glues don't stick well. But you can soften the collar up in hot water and cram it on tight and then use a hose clamp to secure it.

Vacuum hose is polyethylene or polypropylene. Glues don't stick well. But you can soften the collar up in hot water and cram it on tight and then use a hose clamp to secure it.
vacHoseToFilter.png
So this does work --(I had that connector laying around that you linked to in Lowes) ...but even if I soften it in hot water...it seems like I would have to do that to clamp it every time I wanted to backwash...seems like I may just need to hold it on during backwash. Not the worst thing in the world.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.