Grapevine, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our pool is roughly 20,000 gallons and is about 11 years old (we've been here 6 years). It has an IntelliChlor IC40 (early model) chlorine generator, a Tagleus TA-60D sand filter (I changed out the sand last year), and a Pentair WhisperFlo (model 0119774) 2HP pump. The pump itself is original and recently has started a small leak (I tightened the bolts, but the leak continues, so it may be a housing crack somewhere). The pump motor was replaced about 3 years ago (the replacement motor is an A.O. Smith brand).

Today, I went out to backwash and, when I flipped the switch to restart the pump, the motor wouldn't kick on (loud noise, but didn't get moving). I'm letting it cool down right now, in case it's really hot, but will kick over when cooler. Perhaps it's the capacitor or maybe it's the motor itself, but this event -- combined with that leak that has started -- makes me feel this might be a good time to consider replacing that whole unit with something more efficient.

I went to Pentair's site and found that they have so many different pump models that I couldn't figure out which of them might be appropriate replacements models we should consider, nor do I really know what pump/motor feature issues to take into account when comparing them.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, and - most particularly - education.

Thanks.

Tell us a little more about your pool. Any water features, heating, solar, spa, etc.

I replaced my 2hp pump with a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 011018, and am very happy. But that's not the solution for everyone. Tell us more about your pool and we may be able to make some more educated suggestions.

Tell us a little more about your pool. Any water features, heating, solar, spa, etc.

I replaced my 2hp pump with a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 011018, and am very happy. But that's not the solution for everyone. Tell us more about your pool and we may be able to make some more educated suggestions.

Thanks. We have no water features, heater, solar, spa, etc. We have thought about adding a waterfall, but haven't done it yet (the plumbing is there already). We're in Texas and it's hot, so we use shade sails. Nothing else really to say.

We do have a Legend Platinum cleaner with its booster pump, to the extent that's important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.