Suction Side leak everything replaced

Jul 17, 2014
Joplin, Mo
I have always had a slight suction side leak, I never really cared since everything worked and it didn't really cause any issues. But this year it has gotten worse. I had thought about putting a 2 hp pump to replace the ancient 1.5 anyway so I bought a new pump and replumbed to attach and the slightly different shape and hopefully knock out this leak whether it was in the lid or the plumbing. Turned it on and I have the same problem low flow, lots of air, if I let it run and turn off the backflow of air will cause it lose prime. Also I can't get good flow from either the main or the skimmer.

I spent all afternoon digging down the 3' to the next connection to hopefully figure this out. I don't want to have to mess with this if I don't have to as it is almost impossible to get down this far. What would you suggest be my next step to test if this is actually where the issue is?

Here is what I am working with http://imgur.com/a/fhMZD ignore the tape I was just grasping at straws hoping to find some way to fix it.

Here's what I would do-

- Use an air compressor to blow air into the main and the skimmer to see if air comes out. You sure the plug(s) were removed and the control valves are open?
- If that works, you could do a plumbing pressure test where you plug one side, then use a pressure valve to see if the psi drops after adding pressure. This would tell you if you have a leak. Wouldn't be possible on the drain, but the main return(s).

Did you try isolating each return? Other words, if you have a drain and two returns try one at a time? If there's a leak its usually just one leg.

D,

Easy for me to say, but I would get rid of those metal valves and install Jandy valves. I'd have nothing in there except glued PVC..

Did you use pump unions or just screw the piping into the pump?

How far is the pump from the pool? If close, I'd run a temporary pipe from the pump inlet straight out and then down into the pool.

Making sure that it will work when sucking straight from the pool would be tell me that the problem has to be in your main drain and skimmer lines for sure...

It is a little hard to believe that both lines are bad or leaking air, but maybe so... :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just screwed the internal fittings with some plumbers tape. Should I have used a fitting that goes on the larger exterior piece? Maybe I didn't plumb it correctly? I just copied what was there before (well I added the disconnects sine the old one had to be cut off). Here is what I have

I like the idea of exterior pipe into the pool I will try that!

D,

I'm not saying your fittings at the pump are leaking, but it is just another place that "can" leak.

I like to use pump unions which are designed to be used at the pump input and output...

The look like this, and have an O-Ring on the threaded side to prevent leaks...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.