Suction Side Air Leak - I give up

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
From reading other posts, I think have a suction side air leak. I have many many bubbles in the pool coming through the return jets, and a small whirlpool in the pump basket. I have lubed the pump basket O-ring and the plugs at the bottom of the pump. The water level in the pool is good. I turned off and disconnected my pool cleaner to eliminate the hose as a possible source of air. I give up. Anything more than this is beyond what I can do. So what type of company do I call to help me find this air leak? Is this something that any pool repair company should be able to find and fix?

I had this last year and I FINALLY found my leak, I tried everything and what finally worked is turning the system on, and taking a water hose. You may need another person to help you if you can't clearly see your pool from the equipment pad. Take the hose and slowly run it ALL over your equipment and pipes, including the undersides, very slowly! And you want the hose to be open with normal flow, no sprayer attached. When you hit the air leak, the bubbles in the jets should stop. I found my air leak on the underside of a coupling piece.

Unions and valves are often a source of leaks as well. They both have o-rings that can be replaced.

If the pour water trick does not work wrap your suction side pipes, valves, and pump with Saran Wrap. The Saran Wrap will get sucked in and stop any air leak. If the bubbles go away then unwrap areas one section at a time and you can identify the problem spit.

Reactions: Mbarnes1182
Feel free to post a pic or two of your equipment pad as well. Pics speak a thousand words and we might see something to help.
If the pour water trick does not work wrap your suction side pipes, valves, and pump with Saran Wrap. The Saran Wrap will get sucked in and stop any air leak. If the bubbles go away then unwrap areas one section at a time and you can identify the problem spit.
Than if you find the leak is due to a fitting that wasnt glued properly, while running the pump, use clear primer and daub the pipe joint, than repeat with clear pvc cement. Do this twice. It will be sucked into fitting making a permanent seal. Leave system run for a half hour before shutting off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Than if you find the leak is due to a fitting that wasnt glued properly, while running the pump, use clear primer and daub the pipe joint, than repeat with clear pvc cement. Do this twice. It will be sucked into fitting making a permanent seal. Leave system run for a half hour before shutting off.
Hey. Can you explain how to do this ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.