Suction or pressure side cleaner?

I have read a few post about steering it back to you but said it takes too long
I just gently pull the cord up close to where it's at when I empty it..It has a handle so you can pull it out of the water using the handle and not the cord.

Some models have remotes that allow you to drive them around. I've joked before: when they can crawl themselves out of the pool and park themselves in their own charging garage (they'll be cordless, of course), then I'm in!

Reactions: TexasBR
I've got a large oak tree in a green space right outside my fence that seems to like dropping leaves and twigs into the pool from late fall through early spring. This is where suction side cleaners worry me, will I clog up my lines if the vacuum pics up something dumb link a twig? It already jams the wheels of my 280 ...

I like my Polaris 380 pressure cleaner and today the only pressure cleaner I would buy is the Quattro Sport...

The Quattro Sport operates like a robot cleaner but is powered by water pressure from a booster pump. That eliminates the problems robots have with their motors and electronics in the water.

I prefer a pressure side cleaner to a suction side cleaner. I don’t want debris being sucked through my pipes and pump.

Reactions: guinness
will I clog up my lines if the vacuum pics up something dumb link a twig?
I suppose that's possible, but I've never experienced that. The diameter of the suction hole on the vac is much smaller than the diameter of the pipe, so that's the initial safeguard. I don't know if there are others inside the vac. This is another safeguard that can be used during heavy leaf/twig season, though it negates part of why I like suction-side, they have to be cleaned out. I don't have any firsthand experience with these:

I recognize that the type of cleaner that is best for any given pool is determined by the type and amount of debris that falls into it. I don't think there is any one cleaner that is best for all pools.

I prefer a pressure side cleaner to a suction side cleaner. I don’t want debris being sucked through my pipes and pump.
Allen makes a valid point here, but the reality (at least in my pool) is that nothing gets sucked through my pump from my suction vac that doesn't get sucked through it from my skimmer. The skimmer has a basket that catches large objects. Anything finer than the skimmer basket mesh gets sucked through the pump. A suction vac sends its debris to the pump basket, which has the same mesh as a skimmer basket. Anything too small for that basket gets sent through the pump. Same-same. The difference is the vac sends larger debris through the suction line, the skimmer doesn't send its larger debris through its line. Pump impellers are designed to handle a certain amount of debris. Ideally, they wouldn't have to, and arguably if you can prevent that, maybe you should. I'm not worried about it.

My suction line is 1-1/2" pipe. I wish I knew it had sweep elbows.

I have the Zodiac suction side hose attachment on mine and it works great, it will keep everything including sand from getting to the pump.. I never understood a pressure side cleaner, You have to run another pump costing more money to do something that your main pump is already doing.. The difference between a suction/pressure side and a robot is major, the robot will get the whole pool not just the bottom and also scrub the pool.. :)

when I have mine on high it will come completely out of the pool, and that is an Intex pool so sloped up sides past 90 degrees :)

when I have mine on high it will come completely out of the pool, and that is an Intex pool so sloped up sides past 90 degrees :)
Yep, mine too. I used the flow gauge that came with the vac and my VS pump to dial in the RPMs that would get it to crawl the sides but not escape!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.