Suction Cleaners + Skimmers - what works best for you?

AM18

Nov 30, 2019
Sydney, NSW
Hi guys,

After advice on the setup that works best for you when it comes to suction pool cleaners + skimmers.

I've got a Poolrite S2500 Vac Plate with speed control valve which I have completely shut off, diverting full suction to the cleaner.

The cleaner has it's own suction control valve which is also full closed as I'm running a variable speed pump on 1800 rpm - which is just enough to operate the vacuum.

I'd really like to have the cleaner running together with the skimmer to collect surface debris as well.

I've stopped leaving the cleaner in the pool as I've found the floor is clean but the surface still collects light debris which just sits there and does not get pulled into the skimmer.

Is what I'm trying to achieve even possible?

If I open the speed control valves on the suction cleaner, it won't operate properly so I'm guessing I'll also need to jack up the RPM on the pump.

Keen to hear your thoughts and recommendations and what has worked for you to achieve the above.

Thanks

You have identified one of the downsides of a suction side cleaner. To get both the cleaner and skimmer to work together will require much higher RPM and higher energy costs. Long term, it might be more cost effective to go with a robotic cleaner but you would have to do the math to determine that.

One other thought is that if you have automation, you could switch between the two modes and operate them is series instead of in parallel. But again, that will cost more to run. Just not as much as if you try to run both at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oly
Not too fussed about the higher rpm / cost I’ve got solar panels and production is a lot more than consumption.

Im more questioning whether it’s actually possible to have both going at the same time since there is a vac plate in the skimmer.

I’ve been advised to look into a Gator in-line skimmer to use with the suction cleaner which apparently work well.

I am considering returning the suction cleaner and getting a robot more for the convenience of not having to fumble won’t the skimmer lid, vac plate and hose. I also don’t like having something in the pool all the time either. Being a smaller 6x3m pool it’s annoying to have the hose and cleaner moving around while you’re in there with kids etc.

Other point. My pool is not leafy at all it’s mainly dirt and ash from the bush fires and small debris.

I’ve been told that a robot will just blow this around the pool and a good suction cleaner is much better for this application.

I have the Pentair Rebel 2 which admittedly does a good job of cleaning the pool.

I’ve been told that a robot will just blow this around the pool and a good suction cleaner is much better for this application.
Not true. Most robots come with a fine filter that works about as good as any cartridge filter. We get wild fires every year in our area and our robot does a great job of cleaning up the ash.

Im more questioning whether it’s actually possible to have both going at the same time since there is a vac plate in the skimmer.
Sorry, missed the part about the vac plate. If the speed control valve is a bypass, then it might be possible but I suspect if the skimmer is drawing in a lot of large debris, it could possibly clog up the control valve very quickly. Might be worth a try. But you will need to increase RPM so that both can work. My suggestion is to run the pump at full speed with bypass fully open. Then slowly close off the bypass until the cleaner works to your satisfaction. That will be about as good as it gets for both. You can then fine tune it from there for lower RPM and less skimming if desired.

Reactions: AM18
Do you mind sharing what it set you back? I’m also in Sydney

$1,439 ($1,599 - 10% on sale)

came with both regular and fine dust filters
was going to go for the zodiac fx18/cx20 - read reviews and decided to go for the x30.

Does an awesome job and fine dust filters are easy to hose out.

my pool gets mainly dirt and the off few leaves.

after running I’ve broomed the pool and see no dirt swirling. It also does a great job of doing the waterline and the water it pushes out of its blowhole pushes anything on the surface over to the skimmer.

no regrets, it’s awesome!

I agree they do a fantastic job on dust isn’t he pool. Amazing really compared to my prior PSC which was terrible in my situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.