Sucking air somewhere

May 11, 2017
West Olive
This is probably a common question but every setup is different. I watched some videos and have checked the pump cover seal already, it seems fine. Here are the symptoms:

Bubbles in the return lines (not super bad, but bad enough)
Loud gurgling or bubbling sound in the multi-valve atop the pump when on filter
No gurgling or bubbling sound in the multi-valve when on back wash or rinse

The plumbing here does not look like any of the normal plumbing I have seen in the videos - there are no couplers other pipes that might have O-rings, just PVC and some kind of black pipe with hose clamps (which might be my problem in the first place?)

This is my first full year with this pool. Trying to figure out if I should just replace the piping "before" the pump to see if that is the problem or if anyone has other ideas I am all ears!!

POOL PUMP SYSTEM.jpg

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you read the Suction Leaks article in Pool School? It has some ideas on how to start trying to find it.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bubbles where?

The only times I can thing of where you can see bubbles in the pool returns are if you have a SWG with a short pipe run to the pool or is you have solar and the VRV valve is not fully closed. Beyond that, there should not be bubbles in the system.

Note on a low speed pump, you may see air accumulate in the pump basket, but it does not introduce bubbles into the pool.

May 11, 2017
West Olive
Sorry, bubbles in the pump. The basket lid is clear so I can see the water flowing. It has much turbulance/bubbles and I just wasnt sure if there should be *no* bubbles seen there.

kevreh

In The Industry
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Bubbles where?

The only times I can thing of where you can see bubbles in the pool returns are if you have a SWG with a short pipe run to the pool or is you have solar and the VRV valve is not fully closed. Beyond that, there should not be bubbles in the system.

Note on a low speed pump, you may see air accumulate in the pump basket, but it does not introduce bubbles into the pool.

Is the vrv valve the air check valve on the solar pannels? If its not closing, can it be fixed or need to be replaced?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
The solar, being after the pump will have no influence on water entering the pump. OP has a suction side leak......somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the pump.