sub pump went bad

jimmcg29

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
Lower West Michigan
I am having issues with my submersible pump. Actually, both of them. When I moved int the house almost 20 years ago the owner gave me a small pump that I am sure was not new at that time. It worked just fine, and I used it for 10-15 years to drain the pool in the winter and the spring when I had to do complete drains to fix various issues. The only issue I had with it is it was slow.
I purchased a new bigger pump that could fit a 1.5-inch hose. That was much faster. I still used the little pump on occasion and it always worked.
Today they both trip the GFCI which I replaced not too long ago. Both pumps worked fine since I replaced it. I tried both pumps, not at the same time, in different GCFI outlets and using different extension cords. Is it a coincidence both pumps go bad at same time? I suppose but it seems like something else is at play.
While researching a new one I ran across one that specifically said it was OK for salt water. Of course, it was twice as much as the others. Couple years ago, I did switch to a SWG. Could that be my problem?

Jim,

I doubt that swg is your problem. if you want to have your cake and eat it too just run the pump in a bucket of fresh water before you put it up. Sounds kind of unlikely that both pumps would fail at exactly the same time. Try plugging an electric drill or similar into the GFI to see if it trips. If that's the case the problem is somewhere in your GFI circuit.

Chris

I use the receptacle all the time for the pool cleaner and other things. I did break down and get a new pump. The description on Amazon did not say anything about salt water but when I read the instructions it said not to use in salt water. It did not say what salinity level they considered too high. I used it anyhow and it worked like a champ. I brought the water level down to where it needs to be and rinsed it out completely before putting it away. My guess the reason they say don't use in salt water is it would corrode faster. Not that it just did not work. Hopefully it will last a few seasons longer by rinsing it real well.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.