Hey all,

Our pump went out and it was about 2 weeks with no filtering. It never went green, as we added chlorine and swept it regularly while it was out. So, once we got back to business, we went to shocking it (can't remember what y'all call that here LOL). We've been keeping it up to 20ppm, but it's required 3-4 gallons a DAY for the past 4 days. Our pool is small and never took more than 1gal last year to do the same thing.

My son forgot to check it last night and today it was zero (today is day 4). So, 22ppm in the afternoon and we added another gal after that test. This morning is was zero. Last year we did this with no problem and didn't have to use more than 2 gallons a day and only for the first couple days. I don't see how we could stay on top of it like we have and have used as much chlorine as we have and we're getting no where.

Thoughts? Suggestions? My hubby wants to get rid of the pool if we don't fix it soon.

Hi, I feel like I have been reading more threads on ammonia problems this year. This Could be the problem you are having.

Can you post what your CYA level is? If you had a high level previously but very low now then you could have ammonia.
What about your CC level?

Also recommendations from the other thread have been to bring FC level to 10ppm with the pump running. Then test again 10 minutes later. If it is lower than 5ppm then looks like you have ammonia.
you would have to repeat the process until you can hold level higher than 5ppm after 10 minute cycle.

Hi, I feel like I have been reading more threads on ammonia problems this year. This Could be the problem you are having.

Can you post what your CYA level is? If you had a high level previously but very low now then you could have ammonia.
What about your CC level?

Also recommendations from the other thread have been to bring FC level to 10ppm with the pump running. Then test again 10 minutes later. If it is lower than 5ppm then looks like you have ammonia.
you would have to repeat the process until you can hold level higher than 5ppm after 10 minute cycle.
Does seem like this has been fairly common this year.

Hey guys,

I thought the problem was CYA, as I wasn't able to measure it. So, I added 2 pounds, but we're still going through 2-3 gallons a day trying to keep it at 20ppm. It's been 5 days since we started slamming and have done it perfectly.

So, now, I have to figure it's ammonia. I read the other thread about ammonia and how to deal with it, but it says 10ppm. Ours is in the 20s at this point. Can I still do the test? Also, do I have to test and then retest and if it's over 50% loss, I have to add chlorine and retest to make sure it's 10ppm (or whatever the number is supposed to be) and then retest in 10 minutes? I won't have any reagent left if I'm understanding this right.

If you do not have a test kit to measure CYA you either need to get one or drain the pool and start over, thus treating the pool as a temporary pool.

You must know your CYA level to know what FC you need to SLAM (Shock level and Maintain).

You must have a FAS-DPD test to measure your high FC. What test kit are you using?

Take care.

If you can. Test the FC and record it. Add enough bleach to get to 15 ppm and retest in 15 minutes. If it reached 15 ppm FC (or pretty close) then you don't have an ammonia problem. Ammonia will burn the FC off almost immediately.

Thanks, all.

Mknauss - I have the test, but the dot still shows at the very top after adding 2lbs, thus being technically immeasurable. I was advised not to add more before a week has passed.

Thank you, Dave, I will do that. We can't keep chlorine in the pool. It seems to go away SO quickly. Maybe this is the problem. Doing it now.

Maddie, yes, we just bought it.

I just checked the CYA again. I added 1lb of CYA a couple days ago (when it was still not cloudy enough to measure) and it's now up to 30.

We passed the 15 minute test perfectly. I had to do a CC test (at 25 minutes) and it rose a bit more. So, we're clear on ammonia, correct?

For giggles, I checked combined chlorine and it's 1.0. How is this possible when we've maintained 20ppm for 6 days straight??

So, the other thing I can think to do is add more CYA to bring it up to 40ppm, but that doesn't explain why we're STILL using chlorine so quickly or why this issue hasn't rectified already. When we've slammed in the past, we were good to go on day 4. What gives?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's possible that there's some algae hiding somewhere.
Is there a ladder in the pool?
Is there anything else in the pool that could harbor algae? It can be pretty small.

Are you testing and adding every two hours?

I wouldn't raise the CYA anymore until you've finished SLAMing. Especially now that you're reading 30 ppm.

You have added (recently) enough CYA to get to 50 in your size pool. So I doubt you are at 30. How did you add the CYA?

Take care.

It's possible that there's some algae hiding somewhere.
Is there a ladder in the pool?
Is there anything else in the pool that could harbor algae? It can be pretty small.

Are you testing and adding every two hours?

It's possible there is. I'm going to remove the ladder and see if it stops this. I test twice a day. Since the ppm is so high, I would blow through reagent, even doing the small sample.

You have added (recently) enough CYA to get to 50 in your size pool. So I doubt you are at 30. How did you add the CYA?

The original 2lbs was a week ago (it was broadcast). I tested 3 days after adding and I still saw the dot with it at the very top. I added another pound a couple days ago in a sock and tested today and it's finally to 30. We sweep it every day and there's no crystals on the floor of the pool. So, the CYA seems correct.

Once you remove the ladder, I would watch the FC through this evening and increase it to about 10 ppm just before bed - confirm that FC one last time. Then do another test in the morning before the sun hits the water (an OCLT test). If you did NOT lose more than 1 ppm, then the loss is more than likely due to the intense sun. This week has been brutal in Texas. I had to add more CYA this week. But you want to rule-out algae before adding more stabilizer. So if you fail the OCLT, then you know the SLAM is still required. In your 7,500 gal pool, you should be getting close to a good CYA based on what you've added so far.

In the future, instead of broadcast spreading your stabilizer, do the white sock/soaking method as outlined here:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Once dissolved, the CYA should register about 24 hours later.

Let us know how the overnight test goes. Also, check the ladder closely. We've seen very often the steps/rungs would hold algae inside each one and the owner never knew until the step was opened-up.

To confirm .... For your FC testing, you should be doing it like this:
Use the 10ml water sample size with one generous scoop of powder & mix. Count drops until clear and multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.

Been slamming since the 14th and not getting anywhere

Hey all,

We've been slamming since the 14th completely consistently and we're still going through 2-3 gals of 10% chlorine a day to maintain 20ppm. CC is 1ppm. It's hot here, but even when it was this hot last year, we only used 1/4g a day to maintain and 1gal a day to slam. Also, our pool is partially shaded by 2 trees. It never has full sun.

Someone suggested that we check for ammonia. So we added enough chlorine to get it to a certain threshold and then tested again in 15 minutes. We passed, but I wonder... We tested and used pool calculator to bring it up 5ppm and then tested in 15 minutes. We never tested right after adding chlorine, but I don't know how that would work, since it would have to circulate to get anything accurate. We are still slowly losing CYA. We started at what had to be 0, as the dot was always well visualized. So, over the course of 11 days, we added 3lbs, 10oz of CYA and the latest test is still showing the dot at the top of the tube. The last test showed about the same as the previous test a few days ago, so the last addition of 10oz of CYA in a sock did nothing. So, we're definitely eating CYA.

What else can I do? It used to take 4 days to complete a slam cycle and it's been 11. The chlorine is fresh. We sweep daily. The ladder is removed from the pool just in case. It's been backwashed well. We haven't done an overnight test yet, but that is next. Between the CC and losing 2 gals a day, I would assume we wouldn't pass.

So, what can keep a slam from being unsuccessful. I can't think of anything we've missed.

Thanks, guys!

OK . You are sure it is 100% Cyanuric Acid? If so, if you added it to the pool, it is there. The only caveat is how you added it. I believe I read you broadcast it or poured down the skimmer? Both those methods are not very efficient in getting all the CYA added actually in the pool. The broadcast method, if you vacuum, you will lose a part of that. There are other issues, but I think they have been discussed. If poured in the skimmer, then you backwash a sand filter, you lose part of it. Always use a sock in front of a return.

So -- if you added it, you did not vacuum, you did not backwash, and it is fully dissolved to the best of your knowledge, it is in your pool. Then you need to work on your testing protocol.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.