Stuck winterization pipe in Paramount Deck Debris Canister

May 16, 2018
Indianapolis, IN
I've got a stuck winterization pipe in my Paramount DDC (Deck Debris Canister) on the side of the pool, which renders the main drain inoperable. The pool guy that opened the pool said that he could get his wrench on it, but could not get it to budge and thinks that it may have been glued on. Of course, the company that winterized the pool (under a previous owner) is taking no responsibility for it. I contacted the previous owner of the pool and she said that she has never had any problems with the main drain, so I have no reason to believe that it was glued on due to a leak or anything like that. The canister goes 28" below the deck and the pipe is 14". The pipe on the left is from the main drain (I temporarily capped it so I could work in the canister without water getting in the way), the opening on the right is not used, and I believe the pipe in the center bottom is also not used.

Are there any tips or recommendations for removing the pipe in the top center that leads to the pump? I've been researching and have seen the tips for heating up the glue/solvent (pouring boiling water down the canister or heating it up with a hair dryer), using a strap wrench, and have also considered building the pipe above the deck to a "T" handle to get more leverage. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Paramount DDC (Deck Debris Canister) Plumbing.pdf
    971.4 KB · Views: 5
Remove as much water from the canister as you can. Look and feel around the bottom of the pipe for a raised edge from it being possibly glued in. If no raised edge, they probably hammered it in tight - rock the pipe back and forth carefully while pulling up on it. It may take a while, but should eventually loosen up.

I'd also suggest cleaning as much of that black gunk out of the canister as you possibly can.

Reactions: Jayrohe
Thanks for the response. We were able to get the winterization pipe removed over the weekend. We used a long piece of 2" PVC pipe to extend above the pool deck and attached it to the existing pipe via a connecting clamp. Once we had some leverage, it came undone quickly. Luckily, it was not glued in after all but was likely over tightened. The main drain can be used again...wahoo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.