Stuck impeller, and sand in pressure gauge

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
My pressure gauge has gone bad, and has sand in it. How do I prevent this from happening again when I replace the gauge?

I'm trying to replace the seal on the pump. It's been leaking all season - I only recently learned how bad a little dribble could be for the motor. I'm trying to take it apart, and I'm down to the impeller. That thing will. Not. come off. I've tried vice grips on the shaft - hands slip on the impeller. There's no clearance to get a tool on the impeller. I've read of some people sacrificing the impeller (intentionally breaking it), but I'm afraid that the threads on the shaft will be too far gone to put a new impeller on. The pump still works for now, so I could put it back together and live with the leak, pump running on borrowed time. Or I could try to force the impeller off, and risk breaking the shaft - having to replace a pump that was working just fine until I messed with it. Thoughts?

Hayward PowerFlo LX SP1510Z1XBC

the new gauge will be fine once the old one failed the sand was allowed in...

here is a video of taking one off :)

You need a strap wrench. Just got one myself from HD for about $10 for my motor replacement.
Tried that. IDK if this is typical or not, but the impeller is recessed in the housing, making tool placement less than ideal at best. The strap ends up slipping.

This pump has been leaking for at least a full season. There's a lot of rust on the shaft. That's why I'm afraid that if I get the impeller off, there will be no salvaging the shaft/motor.

If a strap wrench won't fit in the housing and you can't take it off, try an oil filter wrench like below. You can get different sizes, so if you can't find one that will fit over the OD of the impeller you can get one that fits over the suction boss.
Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

61nxduFKPHL._AC_SL1194_.jpg

Reactions: Texas Splash
Another option may be to take the motor to your local motor repair shop and have them remove the impeller.

Just to cover all bases is it reverse threaded so it can spin clockwise without getting loose ? That’s fooled me many of times where I thought I was loosening a shaft on something but was actually making it tighter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.