Struggling with TA and PH

texas_scot

Sep 2, 2019
Austin, TX
I switched to the TFP recommended method last summer and I am happy to say that I have been completely algae free with very clear water ever since then. Definitely worth the effort of two partial drainings and then a 10 day SLAM cycle to get everything under control.

I do have one concern which is whether my ongoing chemical usage is "normal". First of all, I keep the pool open all year round, but only heat it on special occasions (kids birthday parties, house guests). During the cooler months, I've been checking the chemistry every weekend, and I've found that I use between 64oz and 128oz of 10% bleach every week, depending on the amount of bright sun. I guess this is reasonable - I was using about double that post SLAM in the late summer.

I do wonder about my TA and PH though. I've needed to add NaCO2 every 3 or 4 weeks to get the TA above 70, and acid weekly to keep the PH in range. My pool is 28K gal PebbleTec, water temperature is between 60 and 70, and I am using around 6lbs of NaCO2 a month, and 1 gal of 31.45% Muriatic Acid.

Does this usage seem reasonable?

P.S. If you see the Dichlor listed in my pool math log, that is me just using up a few packs I had left over. My CYA was on the low end, so the boost is not harmful and it will also reduce my PH so seemed like a good week to use it.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
TA down to 50 is OK. If your TA wants to stay 50 - 60 let it. You are creating a yo-you effect between your TA and your pH. Let your water find it's natural equilibrium for TA which in many pools is around 60.

What is your pH target?

texas_scot

Sep 2, 2019
Austin, TX
Thanks for the fast responses Marty and Allen. I will stop adding NACO2 unless things drop precipitously, and will target a PH of 7.6 and see how that works. I guess I had been trying too hard to nail 80 TA and 7.5pH.