Struggling with new Circupool Edge 40 and low Chlorine

Jasilby

Apr 27, 2020
Texas
I just installed a Circupool Edge 40 for my above ground pool. I have had an algae problem since opening the pool a month ago (Located in Texas). I have initially added 600 lbs of pool salt and all was well. I had very high Chlorine on the Boost setting. But didn't kill my algae problem. Now some weeks later, still fighting the algae problem and have very low chlorine. I have tested the salt level and it showed it was low (about 1000 ppm). So I added another 600 lbs of salt. I expected that to boost the chlorine but now I have the same issue. Very low chlorine and low salt again. My pool specs are: 26000 gal (30' round), sand filter, above ground. Circupool Edge is about 3 weeks old/installed. Chemicals show: Ph is a little high right now, I am adding acid to lower that. Stabilizer seems to show Ok levels and alkalinity seems to be about right.
Some things I have tried along the way: 2 different algaecides which caused very high copper levels, should be down after using a flocculant that removes metals. Next tried PR-10000 to remove any phosphates and hope for killing the algae with just chlorine.
No dice. The circupool shows no red lights for any issues, all seems fine. I have put the pump on low and tried to watch for bubbles. I think I see some moving past the window on the cell.
I am at a loss and could sure benefit from some suggestions. Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have with this situation.

Welcome to TFP.

A SWG is not powerful enough to fix an algae problem.

Algaecides are no help once you have an algae problem. They may help prevent algae but once you have it they do nothing.

You need to turn off your SWG, get a proper test kit, and follow the SLAM Process using liquid chlorine until you satisfy the three exit criteria.

Do you have a Taylor K-2006C or TF100 Test Kits ?

Flocculant does not remove metals.

Last edited:
Thank you Ajw22 and Markayash. The SLAM process basically says it all. I will follow the instructions with that and get my CYA level up (which is about 5 right nowk I was completely wrong on this number). I do have a test kit and got some new salt test strips (the others had to be expired) Appreciate the help and links!

Reactions: markayash
Thank you Ajw22 and Markayash. The SLAM process basically says it all. I will follow the instructions with that and get my CYA level up (which is about 5 right nowk I was completely wrong on this number). I do have a test kit and got some new salt test strips (the others had to be expired) Appreciate the help and links!
I would get the Taylor 1766 test kit over strips. Strips are hit and miss.
But don’t think low salt is your issue.

I had same issue when I installed my Edge40 a month or so ago. Pool was clear and didn't realize I had algae starting (probably all the oak leaves and pollen dropping). I slammed for a week with LC, and got things in order. Edge 40 keeps up at 38 or 50% on 11 hour cycles. Don't add algicides or phosphate removers (according to folks here). Don't raise your CYA too much until you pass OCLT, then keep it at 60 or 70.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.