Struggling to keep up Chlorine in spa

Oct 21, 2018
Chico/CA
I'm sure having a hard time keeping up with chlorine in our spa. Seems like I put in a lot of bleach for such a small tub. I've Slammed all day twice but according to my test kit I've never got CC below 1. Is that normal? We've been using 4 oz. Clorox 6% once in the morning and once in the evening but it's not enough. It's down around 1.5 before the next use which is below the Pool Math minimum of 3. Is Pool Math correct? It says 1 oz. of bleach should raise FC by 2.3 but I just did that and it only went up 1.5. Is my bleach bad? Are my reagents bad? CYA is around 35 but that is a very vague test as far as I'm concerned. Does CYA reduce FC? Do I really need to use a cup of bleach a day for a 200 gallon tub? I must admit that my partner and I use it as our daily bath so I'm sure that increases chlorine use. She's pretty clean but I do landscaping so I'm a little dirty and sweaty at the end of a day.

Wow, didn't realize it lost strength so fast. Is it bad to store bleach outside? It gets around 100 degrees here every day.
Yes very bad to store bleach outside in hot temperatures it will lose strength much faster. Store it in the house. I see pool chlorine at Home Depot and Lowes stored outside with date codes 6 months or longer. By then it will have turned into saltwater. I buy Pool Essentials chlorine at Walmart its stored inside and starts off at 10% so it will last longer. I thinks its about $3.86 look for the date code it will look like 20 XXX.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.