JessM

Jan 3, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Second season with my fiberglass chlorine pool. No problems so far. But about a week ago I first noticed some whitish, stringy floating stuff in the shallow end of my pool. It almost looks like a thin string of spit. Weird. I attributed it to a new pool float, thinking it had some sort of plastic residue. I tossed the floaty (cheap and inconsequential). A couple of day later I noticed it again when I was using a small fine mesh net to skim bugs off the surface. Worrying. Today it’s back. I read some about white water mold, but the posts said that looks like tissue paper in the water. Biofilm?

Some facts:
- Pool is crystal clear other than these stringy bits in the shallow end.
- Pump runs nightly from 7:30 PM until 5:30 AM.
- We’ve had 100+ degree temps for two weeks straight. Today is about 108. Again!
- I test for FC and CC daily and add the stuff from Walmart labeled chlorinating liquid according to what Pool Math tells me to do. That’s 10% chlorine.
- I do the full range of tests at least twice a week.
- I run a robot for two hours every morning. It does climb walls, steps, etc. and scrubs the water line.
- Every evening after I add chlorine I do a quick brush down with a stiff brush on walls and floor.
- Two of us use the pool daily. We often have company. Today there were five of us, yesterday 4; tomorrow there will be 11. We’ve had as many as 13. We get a lot of use. So a lot of sunscreen, etc.
- I don’t add any other chemicals except muriatic acid when my pH gets high. Haven’t had to do that this season.
- I’ve never had an algae problem, cloudy water, or a big chemical imbalance. I’ve never had to SLAM. I’m a loyal TFP follower and treat my pool like a pet; it gets DAILY care.

Any guesses what this floating, swirly stuff is? There isn’t a lot of it. When I touch it it immediately breaks up and goes from long stingy to short pieces. It foams a bit in the fine mesh net when I scoop it. It dries powdery. Pics included. Suggestions? I so appreciate any help. Everything I know about pool care comes from TFP, and I like to tell everyone to just go to TFP and their pool will be as perfect as mine. Now I’m afraid I missed something. I included a pic of my test results from just a few minutes ago. I know my FC should never be below 3, but at 108 degrees I’ve been battling it. I’m needing about 128 ounces of 10% chlorine every night. Thanks for your help if you have time to provide it.

Attachments

• D8C7FFAC-4EC9-4F1B-B7F9-7BDB5B12C12C.jpeg
    D8C7FFAC-4EC9-4F1B-B7F9-7BDB5B12C12C.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 37CBB555-D898-4A73-9EE5-0675805B68DE.png
    37CBB555-D898-4A73-9EE5-0675805B68DE.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 44
  • E36B3A2F-7F4B-44C1-ADE8-51EC293887BD.jpeg
    E36B3A2F-7F4B-44C1-ADE8-51EC293887BD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
It will be interesting to see what the experts weigh in and say. It looks a lot like wet cottonwood pollen in the pics. Does it actually dissolve or just stay slimy until it dries?

Hi! Welcome to TFP. We are happy to have you. Not sure what that white stuff is but we for sure want to clear it out. Can you net it out? Is it slimey?

First thing I noticed is your FC is too low. CYA is either 30 or 40. Did you perform these tests yourself?

Target FC for CYA 30 is 4-6ppm.
Target FC for CYA 40 is 5-7ppm.

You want to end your night at Target. I wouldn't let it get below 5ppm at any point. Net the stuff out if you can, remove any debris. I recommend doing an OCLT and if you don't pass, you need to slam your pool.

OCLT:

Also with high temps, run your filter 24/7. Keep that water and FC circulating.

Also if your pool is uncovered all day with hot temps/full sun. If it's possible to test over lunch, please do.

With 11 people in the pool tomorrow, bring your FC up to between 10ppm and slam level. Test again when everyone's out. Heavy bather load/sun/heat whew things can brew quickly in a pool.

Reactions: Newdude
It will be interesting to see what the experts weigh in and say. It looks a lot like wet cottonwood pollen in the pics. Does it actually dissolve or just stay slimy until it dries?
Hi! It nets out with a fine mesh net. It almost immediately dries powdery. There is very little of it, but I’m fastidious about the pool. I know little problems can be big problems quickly. Thanks for the response.
Hi! Welcome to TFP. We are happy to have you. Not sure what that white stuff is but we for sure want to clear it out. Can you net it out? Is it slimey?

First thing I noticed is your FC is too low. CYA is either 30 or 40. Did you perform these tests yourself?

Target FC for CYA 30 is 4-6ppm.
Target FC for CYA 40 is 5-7ppm.

You want to end your night at Target. I wouldn't let it get below 5ppm at any point. Net the stuff out if you can, remove any debris. I recommend doing an OCLT and if you don't pass, you need to slam your pool.

OCLT:

Hi, Snoobug! Thanks for the response and tips. Maybe I need to go back to pool school; I thought my lowest low should be 3 for FC based on my cya. I do all my own testing with a Taylor k2006. I went with CYA at 35 because the test shows just over thirty but not quite 40. So 35 in my mind. 🤣 I’ll reread that part of pool school. I am absolutely a firm believer in chlorine, but I have a nephew who is here at least twice a week who is very sensitive to it. On days he’s going to be here I, of course, don’t want to go below my lowest low (which happened today in the 108° heat), but I also don’t want the chlorine to be higher than it has to be to keep the pool clean. Like everything with pools, it’s a balancing act. 🤣🤣

Reactions: Snoobug
CYA testing always round up to the higher decade mark if it’s in between and use that to calculate your range According to the chart. You‘re safe to swim up to and including SLAM levels for your CYA, so don’t worry to run a little “hot“ on chlorine. A lot of members do to keep some buffer in the pool for days things may get a touch “off”.

Sunscreen typically presents as sticky black residue. Swimsuits, if laundered, should not use fabric softener.

Reactions: JessM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, MKNauss. Last year towards the end of the year my pH got high. I had to add muriatic acid. This year my pH has remained steady at 7.4 except for a short stint in May after lots of rain. Then it hit 7.8. I added more stabilizer to raise my CYA about then, and it dropped the pH back to 7.4. It’s been there for a long time. We’ve had no rain for weeks. Crazy weather in OK lately.

Interesting. It must be from something people are bringing into the pool. The foamy part leads me to detergent/fabric softener. There really is no reason to launder swimclothes.

Also, with your climate, I would consider a touch higher CYA. It would slow your FC loss.
Also, for the person sensitive to chlorine, how is that known? Is it sensitive to public pools? CC is predominantly what people are sensitive to. Rarely properly managed FC.

Interesting. It must be from something people are bringing into the pool. The foamy part leads me to detergent/fabric softener. There really is no reason to launder swimclothes.

Also, with your climate, I would consider a touch higher CYA. It would slow your FC loss.
Also, for the person sensitive to chlorine, how is that known? Is it sensitive to public pools? CC is predominantly what people are sensitive to. Rarely properly managed FC.
My chlorine-sensitive nephew gets very red, itchy eyes within an hour of being in any chlorine pool, along with very dry flaky skin. He loves to swim with us though. We manage it alright. No one else has that reaction in my pool. As for laundry, we do wash swimsuits, but only after 2-3 wears, and we hang them to dry - no fabric softener or conditioners - just plain ol’ Tide and water. I hope the wispy things in the pool are a foreign something like lotion or sunscreen or fabric softener. I will do an overnight chlorine loss test tonight.

With 11 people in the pool tomorrow, bring your FC up to between 10ppm and slam level. Test again when everyone's out. Heavy bather load/sun/heat whew things can brew quickly in a pool.
I am a Pool Math user. When I try to set my target FC to anything higher than 7 it says that’s outside my range based on my CYA. If I flip the SLAM toggle on, it says my minimum is 14. Your suggestion is 10. So just ignore Pool Math’s formulas/suggestions. That’s scary to me. Pool Math is my pool holy grail! I do what it says! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I am a Pool Math user. When I try to set my target FC to anything higher than 7 it says that’s outside my range based on my CYA. If I flip the SLAM toggle on, it says my minimum is 14. Your suggestion is 10. So just ignore Pool Math’s formulas/suggestions. That’s scary to me. Pool Math is my pool holy grail! I do what it says! 🤣🤣🤣
Imma make a suggestion. With a CYA of 40, your target range is 5-7. Being in Tulsa, I'm going to assume you lose about 4ppm / day in the sun, maybe more with swimmers. Tonight or in the morning, test and add enough chlorine to raise FC to 8. At the end of the day after the sun is down, measure again. This will tell you how much you lose with sun/heat/swimmers. Will help you set your target for your pool, so that you don't go below MINIMUM +1.

My pool in OHIO, with swimmers and sun I can lose up to 5.5. If I had CYA of 40, and I was at 7, that would put me at 1.5 at the end of the day. Do this experiment and you will learn how much your pool consumes.

You can also test and add during the day. Mid afternoon, do a test. If you are down to 6 or 5, add a bit to get you back up.

If pool math barks at you ignore it. It doesn't bite. Just set your target and make your addition per Pool Math.

You got this!

just ignore Pool Math’s formulas/suggestions
Pool Math is a tool, just like a table saw. You need to learn how to use the tool and also have skill in using it. You can't just go cutting things all willy nilly, well, you can but you'll be down some fingers.

Sadly, pool math isn't smart enough to see that you've been losing 4ppm a day the last while to suggest you add 3ppm over target to land at mid target tomorrow. That's the name of the game. Know your recent loss and dose so that you never go below target. It's less in the early/late season and full dosing now in the peak season.

Minimum is lava. Don't touch it. Don't breathe close to it. Let some other Wahoo go run up to it for selfies. You stand back and be ready to call EMS on their behalf.

Minimum is lava. Don't touch it. Don't breathe close to it. Let some other Wahoo go run up to it for selfies. You stand back and be ready to call EMS on their behalf.
Love this! I *AM* the person who waits to call EMS for the more reckless folks. I just never applied that same principal to the pool. Thanks for the great analogy!
See if you pass OCLT first. It's safe to swim up to slam level.
Passed the OCLT! Tested last night at 9:30 and again this morning at 6:30. No chlorine loss. 🎉🎉🎉

This group is so awesome. Absolutely indispensable! So now I know several new things:
- An easy OCLT is necessary if I even suspect organic material in the pool.
- Let the filter run longer if it’s super hot and dry.
- Avoid the lava-laden minimum by ignoring Pool Math’s warnings when my mid-day tests show it’s necessary to do a little more chlorine to compensate for extreme weather.

Y’all make me a much better pool-keeper. Thank you so much! Time is valuable, and I sure appreciate the time you’ve given me here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.