Gold Supporter
May 10, 2018
Wimberley Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know the guidelines are to do daily water tests with addition of chemicals.

The question below applies to those that have non-SWG pools.

Do any of you stretch the daily interval to 3-4 days? For example if your Pool Math app says to run 4-8ppm of Chlorine, bringing it up to 15-16 and testing again in 3 days?

Just curious. Thanks for the input.

I've had good luck checking and adding every few days with a neighbor's pool in NH. That pool mid summer will consume about one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine every few days so I simply add the gallon then check and add another a few days later. I think in some ways it's less risky than adding the minimum required amount every day because the average FC is held higher. The downside is that more chlorine is lost/used overall due to the higher average level. The key is to never let it fall below the minimum for your CYA level.

After testing for a few days, most people get a "feel" for what is happening with their pools.

I often just add what I think the pool needs and move on.. I also run my FC a little on the hot side, so I never worry about my FC falling too low.

I think that most people could get away with testing only once or twice a week and still maintain a perfect pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

After testing for a few days, most people get a "feel" for what is happening with their pools.

I often just add what I think the pool needs and move on.. I also run my FC a little on the hot side, so I never worry about my FC falling too low.

I think that most people could get away with testing only once or twice a week and still maintain a perfect pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
@Jimrahbe - Thanks for the reply. It would appear my pool is eating about a gallon of 12.5
Chlorine every 3 days. I can add 2 gallons, taking the pool to about 16-18 ppm on Sunday and check it again on Thursday.

The PH & TA have been harder to control.
TA constantly falling and PH constantly rising. I’m picking up about a .2-3 increase in PH daily.

You can do what you want, it is your pool, but that is not what I said.. I said you can stretch out your testing.. If you think your pool uses 1/3rd of a gallon of chlorine per day, then I would add a 1/3rd of a gallon each day for three or four days and then test... etc. Adding a bunch of chlorine all at once, does not work as well, because the excess chlroine will just burn off faster...

Dosing the same amount each day, is basically what a Stenner pump does.. It is what I would recommend that you use.. or a SWCG..

I suspect you are trying to keep your pH at 7.2... Try letting it sit at 7.8 or so.. When it gets to 8.0, only reduce it to 7.7..

Any TA above 50 is just fine, so don't adjust your TA unless it gets close to 50.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can do what you want, it is your pool, but that is not what I said.. I said you can stretch out your testing.. If you think your pool uses 1/3rd of a gallon of chlorine per day, then I would add a 1/3rd of a gallon each day for three or four days and then test... etc. Adding a bunch of chlorine all at once, does not work as well, because the excess chlroine will just burn off faster...

Dosing the same amount each day, is basically what a Stenner pump does.. It is what I would recommend that you use.. or a SWCG..

I suspect you are trying to keep your pH at 7.2... Try letting it sit at 7.8 or so.. When it gets to 8.0, only reduce it to 7.7..

Any TA above 50 is just fine, so don't adjust your TA unless it gets close to 50.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah!! Thanks for the clarification!! That makes
Sense

That’s about what I’ve been doing. My biggest problem is the PH. It’s spikes faster than the FC dissipates. I’m constantly having to add Muriatic acid. Yesterday is was 8.5

Limit your fountain use...those will make pH rise every time. Also if your plaster is still curing the pH naturally rises also, sometimes up to a year. The fountains should run for a couple of minutes daily just to keep the lines fresh.

Maddie :flower:

@Triumph65 we're about the same size pool. I, too, only use LC. Although, I test on average 5 days a week (it's fun especially with the speedstir), I dose LC based upon the test results. With CYA at 40, I maintain 5 - 7 ppm FC. I am consistently dosing somewhere between 32 - 48 oz.

Although, I test pH in accordance with the above schedule, I dose 12 oz MA every 3 days. Whatever day I add fill water, I bump MA up to 16 oz because my fill water has 8.0 pH

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.