Stressing...process is going slow, weather isn't helping. Advice please.

Lee73

May 1, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a new 22x52 Coleman steel frame steel frame AGP. We had a 15 foot last year that stayed up for the season. This year my dad stated he wants it to stay up and we'll winterize it (we'll see about that). Our ground is pretty level, it's very hard compact ground made mostly up of compacted rock/rock sediment, gravel. All loose gravel was removed and sand was put down last year. Another truck load of sand was put down this year spread out and compacted down. I wanted to do a layer of crushed limestone because sand just doesn't stay compacted, but I'm letting my dad do what he feels needs done. Last year I used foam workout pads taped together with an armor liner pad over it. This year no pads and no liner pad. We do have a very large thick almost rubbery thick and feel, tarp on top of the sand. I want to put 12x12 concrete pavers under each leg dug into the sand to make it all flush. My dad believes we need to use wood because that's what the instructions state. If he can find water proof wood that is suitable for use on the ground then I would say that would be fine. My dad is saying he'll leave it up to me as far as a border. I have the idea of using either treated lumber or pavers to go around 1 foot or 2 feet out around the pool (if using wood, rebar it into the ground) and fill in with 2-3 inches of smooth river rock, leaving a 3 foot wide portion to put a path of large side walk pavers or outside tiles leading up to the ladder. Right now the ground is sitting out back with sand smoothed down, covered by the tarp and the frame of the pool (so we can mark where pavers will go). I have a 48-54 sturdy ladder on it's way along with an intex xz300 premium auto cleaner, and two 40lb bags of glass filter media. I have a hayward skimmer sitting in the house ready to "attempt" to install. Once everything is put up I'll feel better but then will be worried abut connecting the intex 16 inch sand filter pump correctly...it's my first time using a sand filter. Cutting into the pool to place the skimmer is racking my nerves also. I'm not even sure where or how the skimmer gets hooked up. I guess I don't have a specific question, just maybe looking for feedback on what I have set up already and what I plan on setting up. Also, if anyone has any first hand experience with this type of pool and using an intex filter/hayward skimmer I'd appreciate any info on how to hook up and any do's and don'ts. One question about the pump, it holds 125 lbs sand, 85 pounds of glass. I only have 80 lbs of glass media and I've heard that putting pea gravel at the bottom is kind of an old school concept. I was hoping I could maybe use pea gravel in the bottom to make up for the 5lb missing glass, or would using sand on bottom or top be better? Sorry for all the questions and being so wordy. One thing I did want to mention, I also have a TF-100 test kit on the way... thought most people on the forum would appreciate that;)

Reactions: IceShadow
I would insist on the stone pavers as wood can swell and rot over time. It just is not worth even trying.

Filter-quite a few people try the glass beads but end up going back to sand once they find the glass does not live up to the hype :(

Thank you. He's all for getting 12x12 pavers now. I went out to swerp the heavy tarp he placed over the sand and could feel the sand moving under my feet. Argh! The "professional" pool person he spoke with said they don't compact their sand. I'm going to squish it down as much as I can and get the pavers under the feet. The liner is heavy duty but has several pin holes in it which worries me. I'm going to put down granduals to kill ants and other bugs that could eat through the liner and maybe order another armor liner pad like I had last year. That's just $200 I didn't have in my budget. The one from last year is only 18ft. I've thought about putting it on the other tarp. I know it will leave an obvious line due to being 4ft smaller but I wouldn't really mind and I dont think it's thick enough to throw anything off.

Reactions: kimkats
Thank you for your reply. I was crazy busy for awhile then I was ill & just recently out of hospital. The pool is up. It's off the pavers which had been placed under each foot resting on a big industrial tarp on untamped mason sand. Better off of pavers if that's how it was going to stay. The legs have moved, some in some out but nothing extreme. I'm trying to be patient waiting for the ok to get lumber to treat or something to put border around, kind of box it in and add river rock. I'm tired of tripping over things I've put down to help keep sharp little rocks and misersble tiny ants off feet...and the sand.... how I hate sand, and it's everywhere on everything. Can't keep anything clean and makes backwashing much more messy. I need those big smooth rocks! I'm also hoping being boxed in with the rocks will keep legs stable. Besides the mess & me almost slipping/ falling & killing myself.. the pool isn't bad. Many relatives come swim in it daily (like now..several just came over and are in it.. not even a heads up so I could check chemical levels and chsnge out filter sock... kinda a big pet peeve.... anyway).. I'm unhappy w/ how the filter works. I thought I researched different pumps a great deal but I must not have. I didn't realize sand filters only filtered down only larger sized particles in comparison to a cartidge filter. I can't help but concentrate on all the teeny tiny particles floating around the water. I tried using a clarifier and it didn't seem to change anything. I use filter docks in the skimmer basket and change them 2-3 times a day. I added a pvc pipe to the return because the "eyeball" barely turned. Now it's extended out and has a bend and I'm anle to direct it away from skimmer all the way down if I want. I have it about 45 degrees pointed down. I need to get a "winter" cover to cover it at night and when it storms. The cover that came with this has so many drainage holes I don't think I could patch them all. I bought a bag of cellulose fiber that says to add directly to skimmer to add a layer of filtration that will filter 3-4 microns. I started to use it then my brain went into "duh" mode and I couldn't figure out how much to put in. It's a 9 ounce bag and said to put 1/8 in for sand filters 14 and 18 inches. Mine is 16 so I was still going to do 1/8 but 1/8 of bag, of a cup?I'm pretty sure I add it directly to the skimmer basket (without a sock on it) but feel I should add it to water first because its very messy. I've also thought about adding the 1000gph cartridge filter pump that came with it, connecting it to the two suction outlets I sealed up when putting the skimmer in.. but that's just a passing thought. Any ideas for better filtrstion outside of getting a new pump, & what would anyone reccomend on the filter fiber stuff... just add a little at a time until there's an increase in pressure, backwash, rinse, then add another layer? I have chemical woes also but I'll spare anyone who has been patient enough to read though this! Thank you so much.
LeeAnn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.