Stressing over coping

mia092

Jan 15, 2016
canada
Sorry this may be silly, hyper focused on our bullnose, I’d like it to sit flush with pool wall-but told it needs to extend 1.5 inch, I feel it makes pool look smaller and we have a small pool already-I don’t want to take any extra swim /water space. Do you notice yours? Is this norm/correct install? any way around it?Thinking of just foregoing stone and doing composite or wood decking and building the deck right to pool edge. It is fibreglass pool . Thoughts? Ours is 12x25 fibreglass so not a large pool.

You probably want something to encourage the water to bounce back. Mine is 1", but my old pool just had nothing but a pebble roll over. Every time someone jumped in the pool water would leave the pool. Many jumpers and lots would leave.

Another reason for an overhang is to mask if the pool wall is not perfectly straight. If the coping stone has a full radius, typically the radius is what the overhang is. If the overhang is done less than the full radius there is a large is then a larger grout line between the coping and pool wall.

What Jaffles said. It will reduce splashout. In fact, I just saw that. We had a really hard rainstorm, and the water got even above the overflow drain grate. As the wind gusts hit, I saw the water push against the wall, and then up to the coping that sort of pushed it back in. I don't think it's going to make the pool look smaller. It's the water line that I look at, so probably that's what others do too.

I guess a raised coping tile from the deck level also works in reverse. It keeps dirt and rain water, small sticks and leaves from flowing over into he pool.

The trend these days is to have level coping and deck for reducing trip hazards I presume, but the look has its failings also.

I put a honed concrete coping on. Has a splash back lip of 1", then a 4" vertical face before it falls 1" over 8" back down to the deck level.

Not sure if that is possible with a glass pool, but you could have the vertical face start at glass edge, and come out 1' over 4 vertically. Then like the back of a wave flow it back down to deck height. Someone may make a tile like that but just thinner in height.

Here is a pic of my pool, I have bullnose bluestone coping with 1.5 overhang. i think that's perfect, keeps the water in and i have no issue people hitting their head. i can provide more pics if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_8361.JPG
    IMG_8361.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Lanzz and mia092
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.