Straps for solar heater?

zippyjhawk

Mar 17, 2010
Kansas
We bought our solar heater panels used, so we don't have any straps or fasteners. Can you use materials from Home Depot/hardware store for straps or should I break down and go to the pool store? I wandered around HD but didn't find anything promising, but didn't know for sure what I was looking for.
Thanks!

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
The plastic pipe strapping should work for that. They also have some large pipe hangers that would hold the headers in place.
Are you mounting them to the roof or a rack?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
The straps for my panels is aluminum covered plastic. Much more rugged than anything else you are likely to find at a home center. You can buy the strap and butterfly brackets Here

zippyjhawk

Mar 17, 2010
Kansas
Bama Rambler said:
The plastic pipe strapping should work for that. They also have some large pipe hangers that would hold the headers in place.
Are you mounting them to the roof or a rack?

They are on a rack. I'll look for the pipe strapping at HD the next time I am there. I'm making at least a trip a day getting everything hooked up. The husband is shaking his head at my "projects"!
Thanks

captianron713

Jun 29, 2009
you can find some galvanized fencing brackets for panel mounting ....and you can use galvanized tension wire to run accross the panels to keep them down in the middle

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
Waaay NW MN
We also use strap webbing (like for ratchet strap tie downs) which we bought at Lowes - they sell by the foot

Other Threads of Interest