Strange stuff on bottom of pool <pics>

mdhwoods

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2009
Sarasota Florida
As far as I can tell i have all my chemicals right were they need to be.

FC-9
CC-0
TC-9
TA-100
CH-somewhere between 260(fill water hardness) and 400.waiting for the mixer to come to get an exact one
CYA-60-70
PH-7.5

The swirly streaks and light color dots have been there since i bought the house 7 years ago. Pool company told me it was metals and they actually did a treatment last year which helped alot. My real concern is the 2 black dots that can be clearly seen. They are perfectly round and seem to be smooth to the bottom of the pool. I swam down the other day and felt them. Nor do they rub away with my finger. Any idea what they might be?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_7077.JPG
    IMG_7077.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 585
Hey, how old is the plaster?

Did you drop a penny down there :mrgreen: (sorry, Mike, I can't tell what size that dot is :oops: )

Did you test the spot.......for organic or metals stain?

....and the pool company did what treatment to make things better?

btw, I am absolutely jealous of your screen cage :whip:

Butterfly said:
Hey, how old is the plaster?

Did you drop a penny down there :mrgreen: (sorry, Mike, I can't tell what size that dot is :oops: )

Did you test the spot.......for organic or metals stain?

....and the pool company did what treatment to make things better?

btw, I am absolutely jealous of your screen cage :whip:

lol no it is not a penny. Its about the size of a pencil eraser or a bit larger. There are 2-3 spots like that. Plaster is considerably old. This winter it will be redone. There are spots on the water line where it has flaked off.

I haven't tested for either as i need to read up on how. The pool company last year took my chlorine to 0, put some chemical in that caused the streaks to lift and then get filtered out. It was some type of metal treatment, not sure the specific name though. The dots are something new i think, not something that they treated for.

Ya i thought it was pretty cool that i could get that good of a picture of the bottom of my pool and even show the reflection of the cage.

Mike, sounds like they (pool co.) did the ascorbic acid treatment to lift the stains. Meaning metals. (You can read about this treatment in Pool School and see if it sounds to you like what they did.)

Well, if the plaster is going to be redone this winter, you will certainally want to explore what caused the stains so that they can be avoided in the future!

Have you had your fill water tested? I'd start there.

It could also be something the pool co. put into your pool :hammer: ...or maybe you :shock: :hammer: :mrgreen:

Others will chime in later w/ideas. :wink:

Ok, so i left the 2 spots that were bothering me alone and now i have 3 more on the opposite side of the deep end. I put a vitamin C tab on one last night and will see if it did anything to it when i get home. If no change what is my next step? Its the round black dot in picture 1. I have 3 in close proximity now in the deep end.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.