Strange noise at the skimmer

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I just hooked up the pump and started the pool for the summer today. I want out this evening to see if everything was still running well and noticed some leaves in the skimmer basket from a storm a couple hours ago. When I took the basket out to empty the leaves, it started making a sound like it wasn't getting enough water. The water was actually a little higher than normal after the storm. It looks like a tub draining with the swirl. It has never done this before. Anyone have any idea what would cause this? I'm attaching 2 short videos. 1 with the basket in and 1 without. Any ideas what I should look for? The only thing I did different today than normal is add a little algecide.

Last edited:
It is because the way weir door is laying down. It should be floating freely in the opening of the skimmer laying toward the basket. Check it and see if you can push it the other way.

No home teaching for me, but since this virus, my husband is teaching college courses online and my daughter is taking college courses online since they can't be at the university in person right now. Everything is just so out of sorts for my normal routine. I was rushing today to finish the pool before the storm. I still can't believe I missed that. LOL Thanks again for catching that. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.