Strange issue

BCRider

Apr 29, 2018
Osoyoos, BC, Canada
Opened our in ground pool 3 days ago and was pleasantly surprised to see the water was clear with only a few fist sized blossoms of algae. Over the next couple of days I cleaned the pool and ran the pump for 12 hours a day while I adjusted PH, TA, CYA and salt levels to target range. I left the SWG off. With cloudy weather forecast for today I added bleach at recommended dosage to slam pool. Then I went golfing! When I got back home my pool had gone from cloudy clear to green.

Anyone have any idea why the water would go from clear to green in a few hours on a cool cloudy day?

Thanks
Doug

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
Cloudy green is algae, clear green is metals. Any irregular dosing of chlorine can shock metals out of suspension causing that green tinge.

BCRider

Apr 29, 2018
Osoyoos, BC, Canada
Thanks for the input. Before adding the bleach you could clearly see the bottom of the pool and make out a dead spider etc on the bottom. When I next looked it was dark green and you can’t see the second stair let alone the bottom in the dee end. So if cloudy green is algae then I guess that’s what I’ve got. Hard for me to wrap my head around how the water from such clarity to muddy in 5 hours! Crazy stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.