Strange Black Spot on Bottom of Pool

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
Last Friday I noticed a black spot on the bottom of my pool. It's about 3/4 inch in diameter. I've had black algae at the water line and in some poor circulation areas before, and it's clearly not algae. My pool water is crystal clear. I rubbed it with Vitamin C and it did nothing. I tried scrubbing the spot with a green Scotch brand scrubbing pad and it did nothing, except it seemed to scrape some of my plaster off. I can feel an indentation from the scrubbing. I didn't think the scrubbing pad was that abrasive to do that. The only thing I can think of is that an imperfection in the plaster was somehow revealed--perhaps by adding MA. This is around the area in the deep end (over a return) where I usually add MA.

I will try to post a picture.

My latest test results are:

CL 9.0 (I'm lowering it to around 4-5)
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 575
CYA 70
Salt 3200
Borates 50
temp: 90
CSI .08

Last week I lowered my pH a little too much to 6.8 (I was lowering TA from 90) which caused my CSI to be about -.7 but it was at 7.2 (CSI -.38) a day later and a couple of days later it rose to 7.8 where I expect it to slowly increase to around 8.0 at which time I will lower the pH back down to around 7.5. I wonder if the 24-36 hours at such low pH could have caused the spot to appear or whether its from adding too much MA in one spot--my pool is only 4.5 feet deep in the deep end.

Brushpup said:
I wish I could help, but I wanted to say way to go on posting results. You weren't leaving any chance for someone to ask for more. :mrgreen:

It also tells me that this is a real head scratcher. I have to believe it's a defect in the plaster job that was finally exposed after three years (almost) of wear and possibly from frequent MA additions over the area. Going forward I will trickle the MA around the pool a little at each return.

I have a sopt that looks like that as well. I have even tried an acid wash, thinking it may have been some type of residue or oil. Nothing...didn't do anything. I have been suspicious that it is something to do with the plaster as well. It was done shortly before we bought the house...and it was a shady, no written warranty...kind of pool service that did the work. But I would also love to hear some ideas about what it could be.

It may be the beginning of a tie-wire rust spot below the plaster surface bleeding through to the surface.
If so, there would be a hint of brownish red color in the stained spot.

Quit beating yourself up over your water chemistry treatment. Those spots have nothing to do with water chemistry.
It may be that some organic debris (leaves, etc.) could have been troweled into the plaster mix and has now decayed enough to become visible now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wanted to report back on my black spot. It's now three black spots fairly close together and they are slowly growing. Even though they don't appear to be rust spots (more black than rust color) I'm thinking that's what they are.

My question is whether and how to repair the plaster. The plaster is almost four years old. Other this one area, and except for the white spot etching described by onBalance in other threads, my plaster is in pretty good shape. I probably will not be able to get my plaster company to redo the job without a lawsuit. Any ideas?

You are in Houston.

I'd ask around. There have got to be several guys in the Houston area with good reputations for repairing rust stains etc. Go to or call several independent pool stores and get some recommendations. Then have one of them come by and give you an assessment and a repair estimate.

I would also go to my pb or plasterer. 4 years is short, even with aggressive water chemistry for something like this to be showing up. No matter what your warranty says if you make a big enough stink they may come fix it for free.

Thanks for the replies. It's not black algae. It's definitely coming up from below the plaster. I'm guessing it's not the plaster company's fault, but a poor gunite/re-bar job. My pb quit my job and I already sued him and I have a nice judgment that likely will never be paid.

I'll ask around some of the local pool companies about plaster repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.