Storing chlorine

clduncan

Jul 2, 2019
Waco,Texas
How quickly will liquid chlorine degrade in the heat if stored in garage last several times I have testes the water it wilwill show 0 fc willadd recomeded dosage 90 oz or so and two days later it is gone just tested it today here are my results
FC 0
CC 0
TA 70
CYA 40
PH 7.9
added 20 oz muriatic acid to bring ph down added 60 oz of chlorine 15 minutes later

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
no mystery here. you’re adding 5.4 ppm. your fc burn off is at least 3ppm/ day, probably more with your low cya.
i would increase your cya in the 50-60 range and dose everyday while it’s hot...
you’ll want your target fc in the 6-9 ppm range and never below 4-5ppm

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
i guess i forgot your original question. there’s a chart around here showing that the higher concentrations (10%) do go way down in a few months stored that way. i keep mine in a conditioned space (closet) until i use them

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Also check the Julian date code on the bottle and make sure it is fresh. Even stored in a hot garage fresh chlorine will hold potency for at least a week or so. How much do you buy and store at a time?

clduncan

Jul 2, 2019
Waco,Texas
I have been adding cya to the pool have not re tested it yet... I usually buy a case 4 gallons at a time... I found a spot that I can store in inside away from everything that should solve that problem. guess I need to stay on top of the chlorine a little better than I have been

Reactions: jmikeb