Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I opened pool with the blue bags from local pinch store about a year ago. And have kept a few bags on hand as needed, but I had heard secondhand of a possible batch problem and staining from their salt. I haven’t been able to find anything online but have been afraid to use the two bags I have. The bags I have are dated 4/11/22 and I didn’t hear about this until a month or so ago. My pool guy puts salt in when I ask him but I would like to use the bags I have if safe to do so. Any one know of anything regarding their salt? I did notice around time I heard of this that local store were out of the blue bags of salt so not sure if related. Sorry to be vague, just don’t have any concrete information.

Last edited:
If the bag says 100% and/or pure, it's fine. If there are additives there may be iron in there.

Another option: pool salt at Lowes today is about 9 bucks. Maybe you'd be able to find it for even less. For < $18 you can throw out your old salt and not have to worry about it.

I pretty sure the 'bad' salt you have heard about was Clorox Salt, which has been known to stain pools.

If your blue bags are not the Clorox brand, then don't worry about it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Post a pic of the bag of salt you have.

Clorox Pool Salt has been reported by multiple members to stain pools.

Spoke with store and said my bags should be fine, did mention some more recent issues and those bags had been pulled but not an issue all way back to April, so I used mine today. Will check out the Lowes or Home Depot salt also in future. Thanks

Just use water softener salt. The Blue Diamond crystals (blue bag) works fine. Buying branded “pool salt” especially with labels like “high purity salt for salt water generators” is nothing but pure marketing hype so they can charge you 2-3x price of standard softener salt. Just like the frozen peas and green beans in a supermarket freezer case, they all come from the same primary manufacturer/distributor and the only difference is the label. Green Giant is the same stuff as Walmart brand.

Stay away from all things Clorox …

Reactions: Dirk
Just use water softener salt. The Blue Diamond crystals (blue bag) works fine. Buying branded “pool salt” especially with labels like “high purity salt for salt water generators” is nothing but pure marketing hype so they can charge you 2-3x price of standard softener salt. Just like the frozen peas and green beans in a supermarket freezer case, they all come from the same primary manufacturer/distributor and the only difference is the label. Green Giant is the same stuff as Walmart brand.

Stay away from all things Clorox …
My issue is the salt bag ingredients are lacking, and they don't always spell out exactly what is in the bag. I think I heard here that manufacturers are not particularly regulated to do so. That's the only reason I use "pool-specific" salt. And as I mentioned, it's nine bucks where I get it, and at most I use about 1 bag per year, so I don't sweat it.

More to the point, do not put frozen peas and green beans in your pool. They can really clog up an SWG... ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And here I was thinking I could add green beans and the SWG fins would slice them French style......... with a hint of sea salt. Yum.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.