Still shock pool occasionally if numbers always look good?

NJSwimmom

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
I have an Intex 12 x 24 rectangular pool up and running for over a month now and the water has been crystal clear, numbers have consistently looked good. I’ve been following the Pool Math app religiously and using 12.5% liquid chlorine daily and keeping up with granular CYA. Vacuum and brush regularly, backwash weekly, no signs of algae. No signs of overnight chlorine loss. Is there any reason that I should be shocking the pool on a weekly basis? We don’t have a heavy bather load. Only one or two people use the pool. Here are my numbers:
FC 4.0
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CA 60
CYA 50

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Test your FC just before you add your daily dose. You want to always keep your FC in the target zone for your CYA level and never let it fall below the minimum.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
No need to shock the pool every week any more than there is for you to take a laxative every week whether or not you need it.

I must comment that 4 FC is the minimum for 50 CYA so you're skating close to the edge.

NJSwimmom

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
No need to shock the pool every week any more than there is for you to take a laxative every week whether or not you need it.

I must comment that 4 FC is the minimum for 50 CYA so you're skating close to the edge.
I have my target listed as 6FC with a range of 4 to 8 On the Pool Math app. Should I have my target higher?

NJSwimmom

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
I have my target listed as 6FC with a range of 4 to 8 On the Pool Math app. Should I have my target higher? Every 24 hours I put in either exactly the recommended amount but I usually throw in two extra ounces rounding up For good measure. It never seems to go above 4.5 FC but I’m also not losing more than 1.0 FC per day.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Since you are seeing your FC drop to the minimum I would up your FC target to 8 so when you test you should see a FC of 6 and have a bit of buffer until the minimum. This says your pool is using about 2 ppm of FC a day.

Reactions: NJSwimmom