Still happening...plaster completed!

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
After a month of waiting for permit approval, I came out side my home and found that the red flag poles are up! So I guess this means excavation will be starting soon. Called the office and said digging should start within a week. Am excited and nervous at the same time! Anything I should prep for the digging and what to look out for during excavation? Thanks so much guys!

Congrats Post alot of pics so everyone can gawk.... I...... mean...... study.......them to make sure everything is going good. Yeah yeah. Thats what I meant.

Good luck and I hope it all goes to plan.

Got a call that they will start digging tomorrow morning. Moved potted plants and patio stuff out of the way. Is it necessary to turn off utilities/gas? I asked my PB and he said no. I’m a little nervous nelly because there was a house explosion in a nearby city where a solar co didn’t call the utility co ahead of time to mark the gas lines before the dig. They hit a gas line, smelled a leak and called in the gas co to fix it. That’s when the explosion happened, killed a gas co worker and injured several others including the owner. It was very sad. They marked ours but would feel more at ease if they turned it off. Am I being too paranoid?

If it bothers you, you can shut it off at the meter. Without seeing your house/pool layout can't say for 100 percent certainty but if this is a common build, you shouldn't have any utilities it the yard where a pool would go. Have ever, when the trench for the plumbing run, they should be more careful if going near the house and meter. When they pulled permits, the authority should have checked the plot plan for anything underground in the construction area.

Congrats neighbor. I didn't turn any utilities off. My PB's plumber was a good guy that knows his stuff. I just setup a camera to time lapse record everything.

Reactions: newbie99
Got a call that they will start digging tomorrow morning. Moved potted plants and patio stuff out of the way. Is it necessary to turn off utilities/gas? I asked my PB and he said no. I’m a little nervous nelly because there was a house explosion in a nearby city where a solar co didn’t call the utility co ahead of time to mark the gas lines before the dig. They hit a gas line, smelled a leak and called in the gas co to fix it. That’s when the explosion happened, killed a gas co worker and injured several others including the owner. It was very sad. They marked ours but would feel more at ease if they turned it off. Am I being too paranoid?

FWIW contractors are required by California law to call 811 at least 2 business days before excavation.

It’s demo day. So far so good. Workers said they will be be digging tomorrow. PB did say the lawn would be destroyed but didn’t realize the extent of it until today. Ouch.

Attachments

• E16CB598-65E0-4832-9603-5B2431CAD3E5.jpeg
    E16CB598-65E0-4832-9603-5B2431CAD3E5.jpeg
    737 KB · Views: 180
  • D14D19F4-3EE1-493A-AC55-FD2B4F1A4396.jpeg
    D14D19F4-3EE1-493A-AC55-FD2B4F1A4396.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 61530EB4-26F6-4EFE-AC88-74479A0BDC1C.jpeg
    61530EB4-26F6-4EFE-AC88-74479A0BDC1C.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 5479B8BA-AC37-44E8-8AAE-E0739E289743.jpeg
    5479B8BA-AC37-44E8-8AAE-E0739E289743.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 178

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, this one didn’t. Really terrible because this could have been avoided.
FWIW contractors are required by California law to call 811 at least 2 business days before excavation.

Measure, measure, measure. Allowing for gunite thickness. This is the only chance before that ship sails. Doesn’t happen often, but pools get dug wrong.

Reactions: Watershow
Noticed some of the wood panels to frame the pool looked rotted. Is this acceptable or will it cause problems? Some dirt got caked into our stucco walls during excavation should I ask my PB about this, or is this a common thing that can be removed? I tried removing but some are heavily caked on there that I don’t want to chip the stucco. Don’t know much about construction best practices so curious to what y’all think.
Last, noticed some ants crawling on the wood, should I spray before it becomes a big problem? Thanks!

I expect all of the wood I see in your pictures will be removed. Sometimes wood does stay underground. Not a big deal.

For the dirt, a hose and scrub brush or power washer, wide spray at first to see how it loosens up and not damage the paint. I‘d do it myself to avoid compounding the issue by them doing something dumb. Others would say get the PB to do it.

I expect all of the wood I see in your pictures will be removed. Sometimes wood does stay underground. Not a big deal.

For the dirt, a hose and scrub brush or power washer, wide spray at first to see how it loosens up and not damage the paint. I‘d do it myself to avoid compounding the issue by them doing something dumb. Others would say get the PB to do it.

Thank you so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.