Still confused

foodog

Jun 11, 2010
Hello all,

I am a fairly new pool owner and have been doing some extensive reading here. I understand most of the content but I am a little confused with my chlorine issue. Since the discovery of TFP I have switched over to the BBB method of maintaining my pool. The problem I am having is a 0 FC reading. I had my water tested at a local pool store and I think my problem is the 100 CYA. Chlorine Lock? Should I be checking for other issues that might be eating up the chlorine? My PH is perfect as well as TA. I have a 17 1/2' x 33' inground, 4ft-6ft. Any suggestions on my chlorine issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
FD

I don't believe the 100 CYA is the reason you're seeing a 0 FC level. Unfortunately my CYA is over 100 right now, but I have no problem maintaining a proper FC level. Yes, I'd be looking at other reasons (algae?) if you're FC keeps dropping to 0.

TIger85

Tiger85,

No algae in the pool, the water is sparkling. Between yesterday and today I have added over 6 gallons of bleach(6%), and still 0 FC. Last week my numbers were all out of wack, I got everything balanced and the only thing odd I noticed was copper stains on my liner and steps. I added mineral out alng with a mineral trap product from the pool store. Ran the pump all night and backwashed in the am to get rid of any trapped minerals. Stains lightned, used the stain remover that comes in a pouch and rubbed it on the stains. all looked good and the stains are coming back again. Haven't added any municipal water this year, between winter snow and this years rain the water level was perfect.

Also, before switching to BBB methods (last week after spending a fortune at the pool store) they had me add 5 bags of shock to bring the FC level up. It had gone up but by the next day it read 0 again. #@$%^???

Greatly appreciated,

FD

Foodog,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Sooner or later, you will need to address that vERY high CYA. It is amazingly difficult to manage a pool at that level.

As JohnT asked, tell us how you are testing and whether you can test for cc's. We can help you get your pool crystal clear and easy to manage but your CYA needs to come down......if it IS that high.

Thanks John T and Duraleigh. I am testing with dip strips and there is no CC test. Would the CC level be the reason for no FC reading? I really need to buy a better test kit.

Haven't had a large number of bathers, actually no one. I was a little skeptical to let anyone swim if the water wasn't being sanitized.

After this weekend I am going to attempt the drain, add fresh water, and hope the CYA level goes down.

Happy Father's Day to Everyone!

FD

Foodog,

It's hard to imagine that your FC is 0 with all the chlorine you've added. I don't use the dip strips, but folks have said that they'll bleach out in excessively high chlorine levels. I'd try to get a more reliable test. Maybe you could try putting a few drops of pool water on a strip rather than dipping it just to see if it registers.

I'm afraid that without a good test kit, you are going to be spinning your wheels. I would recommend a TF-100 kit as it has no match out there for value and quality. See the link in my sig.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be ordering the TF-100 and as soon as I get I will run the tests and post my numbers here. I did however pull apart my DE filter and it was totally orange and all caked up, a little algae mixed in there as well.

Thanks again everyone, be back soon to repost the #'s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok everyone, I'm back with my numbers. Just got my TF-100 and I can honestly say I love the kit.

FC-.5
CC- 1.0
TA- 100
PH- 7.0
CH- 160
CYA- 90 or possibly higher. The test was a little tricky. The black dot was gone but you could still see a slight shadow so I'm not sure if 90 is accurate. Last week the pool store gave me a result of 100 and since then I took water out of the pool(down to the bottom of the side skimmer)and re-filled with municipal water.

Still can't seem to hold chlorine. How do I test for amonia?

Your CC level of 1.0 indicates that you do in fact have organics in the water. More than likely it is algae. You need to shock the pool but I sorry to say that with a CYA level approaching 100 it is going to be extremely difficult. CYA levels approaching 100 require extreme amounts of chlorine to counter the effects of CYA. Maybe one of the experts here can confirm, but I think that you are going to have to drain and fill to get the CYA down in order to accomplish a proper shock and achieve a successful overnight FC test.

Oh boy! I guess I might have no choice to drain and fill, not exactly what I wanted to do since our swim season here in NY is so short. As for the algae, is there somewhere it could be hiding?(pvc piping?) There is no visible algae and I just pulled the filter apart and cleaned everything.

Thank you for the reply benavidescj

Organics like algae and bacteria do not necessarily have to jump out of the pool and bite you on the leg. What I mean is that they are not always real visible. Your pool water may look dull or just not crisp. You are putting a lot of chorine in the pool so you may just be keeping it at bay. In my pool I run 70 ppm CYA but have to be real vigilant that my FC never drops too low because if organics get a foothold I will be in similar position as yourself. My benefit is I have a SWG that maintains a steady rate of FC so it is more difficult to end up with low FC and organics buildup.

Your best bet is to follow Ben's advice. Drain Some water to get your CYA down to a managable level.

You can have the beginnings of an algae bloom well before you see it.

After you have drained and refilled I suggest you shock. With a CC of 1ppm you don't really need to do an overnight loss test to confirm but you can if you want to.

Thank you Bama and Ben for helping out. I am in the process of draining the pool as I type this. I will hope for the best and if I encounter any further issues I will be sure to post again.

FD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.