Still cloudy! + raise ph?

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
So I had some algae build up after several days of rain and I tried to vacuum, filter, brush and do a modified SLAM (work schedule) but it's still cloudy. I ran the pool motor for the past 24hrs, before that it was 8-10hrs / day. I couldn't run it longer because the cartridges were old, were getting clogged, and was awaiting new ones (I now have new cartridges). Test results are below. I know I need to now raise up my ph but I've heard borax makes the water "taste funny". Any help? Should I do a proper SLAM? I have a 3 day weekend coming up...

7/5/21 results
ph = 7.30-7.40 (tough to tell for certain, lets say 7.35)
FC = 7.5ppm
CC = 0
TC = 6
TA = 50
CYA = 20
CH = 100

I added 15oz stabilizer via the sock soaking method and 1lb 5 oz baking soda

7/7/21 results
ph = 7.0 - 7.1
FC = 6ppm
CC = 0
TA = 70
CYA = 38

Just signed up for the pool math app. $8 for the year is completely worth it.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Visible algae + cloudy water = SLAM Process time. You have the perfect opportunity to hit it hard during your 3 day weekend
You count your cya as 40 ppm if it’s between 30 & 40 (always round up) so your slam fc level is 16ppm.
I have never really drank my pool water (nor is it advised) so not sure about borax or borates making it taste funny 🤷‍♀️ Borates of up to 50ppm are definitely safe for humans.
W/ a ph of 7.1 some aeration should get u to 7.2 in no time. (It may already be there since your last ph test was yesterday & u have quite a small pool)
Your baking soda addition increased your ta & that naturally allowed your ph to rise on its own.
A2E7868C-1253-4680-9ABA-7567D62C5989.jpeg

Visible algae + cloudy water = SLAM Process time. You have the perfect opportunity to hit it hard during your 3 day weekend
You count your cya as 40 ppm if it’s between 30 & 40 (always round up) so your slam fc level is 16ppm.
I have never really drank my pool water (nor is it advised) so not sure about borax or borates making it taste funny 🤷‍♀️ Borates of up to 50ppm are definitely safe for humans.
W/ a ph of 7.1 some aeration should get u to 7.2 in no time. (It may already be there since your last ph test was yesterday & u have quite a small pool)
Your baking soda addition increased your ta & that naturally allowed your ph to rise on its own.
View attachment 353090
my ph actually went down since the addition of baking soda 🤷‍♂️

I run an extension cord due to no available electricians here until October, and we are having a tropical storm with heavy rains! Motor shut off, possibly burnt it up! Looks like I'll be dealing with a green pool for a while longer. But all this info will help thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't burn up a new motor too! (if thats even what happened) Check the gauge and length of the extension cord to make sure it is big enough to carry the load of the pump. Fat cord... and the shortest one that will reach.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.