still baffled by air leak

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
well, I think we've tried checking all the obvious air leak candidates (pump basket, skimmer basket, copper/PVC joint, PVC pipe to pump basket, am I forgetting anything - previous thread here http://www.troublefreepool.com/air-leak-update-t25192.html)
When the pump is off, the water level in the pump basket is stable, so if I bleed the air and leave the pump off overnight, the water level doesn't drop noticeably. I don't notice the water level dropping while the pump is running (although I can't say I've been watching it closely), but when I check on it after the filter has finished running, the water level has dropped to at least below the level where the PVC pipe enters the basket case (basket case being what I feel like after dealing with this :thumbdown: ). This evening hubby checked it and when he opened the basket, he had to add about 7-8 gallons of water to get the basket filled again (he said the water was running back towards the skimmer as he filled it, so he's guessing the 7-8 gallons is the capacity of the pipe running back to the skimmer)

We're at a loss for ideas now - any suggestions?

This is very obvious, so I'm sure you've checked it, but make sure the drain plugs in the pump are tight. Mine were'nt leaking when my pool was opened by a "pro" this year, but when I ran the pump they'd suck air past the threads and caused me all kinds of headaches. So obvious that it was a pain to track it down!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.