Stenner Pump: Variable vs. Fixed rate?

RonsPlc

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Gaylesville, AL
I got a variable, but only have it set to FULL speed, and control it with a timer. I figured that if I didn't have to engage the slip gear, it wouldn't wear out.
I got the pump for a song... $80 brand new, and couldn't turn it down.
It was the SECOND best thing I have done for my pool, and my sanity!
The first best was following the principals that are taught here on TFP.

I love my stenner, and wouldn't hesitate to replace it at full price if it ever bit the dust.

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I just got the Stenner Econ T to automate the chlorine and it works fabulous. It is fixed speed with a built in timer. Only other recommendation is to get a pump on the higher gpd end. This will reduce your run time and wear and tear.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I originally bought an adjustable model and later converted it to a fixed rate head.
With the new Econ T model you have a choice of getting the pump with built-in timer.

My recommendation would be either the Econ T or a fixed rate with separate timer.

Demegrad9

May 27, 2017
Coventry, CT
I have a rola-chem but it's still the basic idea as a stenner. Mine is a fixed rate head but it has a timer built in with a control knob labelled 0 to 7. Since the pump can dispense 12 gallons per day, way too much, I put it on a separate intermatic timer from home depot so I could set the knob to about 3 and still have some room to adjust up and down.

joshua5438

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I have an variable rate stenner pump. I purchased it on Craigslist and actually got two of them for $60 each. I have it set to the highest rate and control it with a timer. I run it twice a day for 20 minutes each to inject 1/2 gallon of chlorine per day.

Jbat9466

May 24, 2018
Liverpool, NY
I bought the 45MPHP22 fixed rate pump. I know my pool takes about 1/2 gal chlorine a day. The pump puts out roughly 22 Gal per day which equals 1.95 oz per min. I run the pump twice a day for roughly 16 min each time. I planned on using a timer to control how much chlorine is administered so the bigger the pump, ( flow rate ) = less the run time, less wear and tear, the longer the pump will last.

csrpenfab

Aug 28, 2017
Eastvale CA
I bought the Stenner fixed rate 45MP2, 10 gallon per day, 25psi model attached to a 15 gallon tank from Poolweb.com for $366 shipped. It came in yesterday and I'm ready to install today. I'll be using a Wood's outdoor timer. Looking forward to this upgrade.

panamax53

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 10, 2015
Doral, FL
I purchased a variable 45M and use the small tube to dispense 16 total ounces over a one hour time period of a 50/50 muriatic acid solution. I regret buying the variable. It's too noisy for me and my neighbors due to the very loud clicking sound it makes on variable dosage settings. So I run it at full open without restriction and use a Woods Timer to regulate the time. The Woods timers don't last much more than a year in my experience. I like their precision and price point over the alternatives. I keep a backup on hand.

I do wonder if using the next size larger tube and running it for only 15 minutes would be a better idea? Or would those 8 ounces of acid be too much going into a 4 jet 17,500 gal pool in that period of time if someone were swimming in the pool?

Blowout

May 13, 2012
San Jose, CA
Just installed the fixed rate Stenner with 15 gal tank a month ago. Using a timer and everything seems to be running smoothly.

I don't have a central control system and fixed rate seemed to be the easiest to implement and most simple to troubleshoot.

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
I So I run it at full open without restriction and use a Woods Timer to regulate the time. The Woods timers don't last much more than a year in my experience. I like their precision and price point over the alternatives. I keep a backup on hand.
I’ve had two Woods timers fail on me (causing a serious acid dump, ie, stenner was on for the full time of the pool pump cycle. I really like the Wood timer design and price point, but reliability does become a really important factor in the context of timing the dispensing of acid. So I have two Woods timers - one controlling the other. This at least reduces the odds of another timer failure/acid dump, as this would only happen with a simultaneous failure of both timers. As an additional safeguard against a timer malfunction, I time th dispensing to be during the final 15 minutes of the pool pump cycle. If both timers were to go bad, referring to both going into a always on mode, dispensing would only occur during that pool pump on time frame (ie, timers powered by pool pump circuit).

Reactions: panamax53