Stenner pump tank

Bandit5

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I have been very happy with the results of my Stenner pump install over the past year. However, I have noticed a few small things that I would like to improve. As you can see from the link in my signature, I hooked it up to come on with the pump, which is working pretty as I can adjust the output level if I want to run the pump longer. This was easier at the time, but now I want to add an automation system to independently control everything, including my lights. But I will save that for another season.

The real reason I wanted to make this thread was to share my feelings about the Stenner tank. It is short and wide which makes it stable, but it also leaves a lot of chlorine at the bottom when the pickup can no longer get to it. Also, it is hard to tell how much chlorine is left. I have been rigging up a dipstick, but the results can be difficult to read. And when refilling it, it is difficult to tell when it is full and I have overfilled it twice already (I should have learned the first time) when overestimating how much room is left in the tank. After some consideration, I have come up with a solution... that I have not bought yet as I will need the benevolent dictator's permission.

A conical tank with level indicator and bottom drain: 15 Gallon Blue Inductor Tank | Ace Roto-Mold INFD15-19LB

I would suggest this to be the new standard of Stenner pump tanks (that do not need to be buried). The conical shape allows the pickup to sit in an area that will not run dry until the tank is totally empty. The level indicator will make current level easier to red and aid in figuring out how much you are using during any time frame. And a small ball valve can be put into the cap to allow easy drainage into a vessel in the vent you want a one-time large dose such as a SLAM: https://www.amazon.com/Dernord-Stainless-Weldless-Bulkhead-Kettle/dp/B07D79S8T1/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1529713818&sr=1-10&keywords=barb+thread+ball+valve

So, that is where my thoughts lie on this. What do you guys think? Has anyone already used something like this? I would be very interested to learn if there are any drawbacks.

I like the concept and it looks like it would work well. The only hesitation I have is the height to fill it once it's installed. You're looking at about 40" high to the top of the tank once it's on the stand. With gallon jugs it wouldn't be a problem, but it'd be a bit if a haul with a 2.5 or 5 gallon jug.

Good catch. 40" puts it just under 3.5'. That may actually make it easier for me to fill since I won't have to bend over the whole time. If using a siphon you will need to elevate the tank higher than that, but with an opening so large it may be easier to just pour straight from the jug. I fill with 5 gallon jugs of 12.5% chlorine. I could pour straight from the jug, but there is a possibility of spilling when you first start the pour. Lately I have been using a siphon from a beer brewing kit. All I have to do is move an unused bookshelf in my basement to set the jug onto and start the siphon.

I really can't tell if this will make it easier or harder.

I’m not sure if these are problems need solving in my case. I have the same tank setup. The weighted strainer lays sideways in the bottom of my tank. My Stenner pump can suck the tank almost completely dry. My tank is outdoors, more chance to get dirt. So not sure if allowing the tank to go dry is best, but I figure the strainer prevents dirt getting into the pump. I check and clean the strainer periodically, no problems so far.

Regarding checking tank level, I find it’s much easier and more consistent to measure ullage, i.e. how much the tank is empty. I use a ruler as a dipstick to measure how many inches from the liquid line to the top lip of the tank opening. If ullage is 13”, tank is empty; if it’s 1”, tank is full. Tank level (how full) is = 13” - ullage reading. 1” is about 1.25 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.