Stenner pump for chlorine. Help with sizing and install ideas

After further investigation. If I inject liquid right into the chlorinator that should be okay as long as there are no pucks in it correct. I was going to either tape the cap shut or stick a piece of pvc pipe in it so you could not get a puck in there if you wanted to. But I am the only one who does the maintenance so an error wont happen and Ill remove the stenner inject point and cap it off if I want to use pucks again for cya. My only other option is to put in a tee before the chlorinator and then in my mind I would still have the same risks. Unless if I totally replumb the system. There is no room for a liquid T injection sight after the chlorinator. I dont want to drill and tap an elbow. Thats not a gauranteed success.

To make a long story short. Will an injection sight before the chlorinator be okay?

How long has the tablet feeder been empty? If it's been a pretty good while, you should be ok. If it hasn't, then you should empty it and turn the dial wide open and run the pump a few days before starting the injection pump.

Welcome to the Stenner Club... it IS an EXCLUSIVE TFP club that I am proud to be in! :party:

Just joking... but your life just got a whole lot easier!

Make sure to not get lazy and space your testing out too far. Anything man made is subject to failure, and with a Stenner, your testing is going to be able to catch it before you need to resort to drastic measures (SLAM).

I test my pool every 2nd-3rd day now that I have it dialled in for the season. If my numbers are off, I double check things. Last year I needed to replace the pump tube, but my testing told me things were not right.

I am waiting for it this year (Have the tube ready). I will keep it running until it quits. My testing will tell me when, (again).

My bet is that it would be easier to replace the pump tube and duckbill annually (at the start of the season) that to wait until it fails and gives problems. It's not hard to do. It's not expensive.

I add chlorine in ppm. I have my Stenner calibrated so that I know how much time it has to run to dose 1ppm. Based on that I can increase run time to put in whatever ppm I desire. In my log book I only document ppm.

For example: my "MIC" (Minimum Inhibitory Concentration) for my CYA level is 4. FC levels at the end of the day (night) before my Stenner runs are my "Trough" level. FC levels taken in the morning before it gets light are my "Peak" level. I like to have at least 1ppm buffer. So I will maintain my Trought >or= to 5 and my Peak > or = to 6.5.

Today I checked my FC at noon and it was 8. Since it was noon, my peak had to be >8. So I'm fine and did not adjust the pump.

In March I opened the pool and brought it to shock. I started running 1ppm of chlorine. I check 1X per week, that's it. I increased the pump to 1.75 ppm and about 2 weeks ago to 2.5ppm. So I am now on the 3rd Stenner setting for this year. It becomes easier if you will think in terms of ppm.

Do you guys add the same amount every day or have it do different amounts on the week vs weekend. Thinking I will need more FC on the weekend. During the week the pool is covered and typically not used. But on the weekend it is open most of the day provided the day is nice.
I will figure it out. I kinda have it set up to how I have been adding manually.

Test at least every other day and adjust if needed. I leave a little room between my low FC point (level just before adding) and minimum acceptable FC, so if it gets a bit off no big deal. I really don’t seem to need to adjust much beyond my scheduled 2 ppm addition each day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I inject chlorine into my pool twice per day. 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. This gets me thru most of the season without any issues. I do have to add a little at times in the heat of the summer but not enough to change my settings. In early spring and late fall I cancel the 20 minutes in the evening and only inject 20 minutes in the morning. I test FC twice a week and have had zero issues at keeping the FC where it needs to be. I have been having some issues with my FC being on the low side this year. I thought the stenner tube needed to be replaced so I replaced that. Issue came back a few weeks later so I thought the line had a partial clog. Blew the lines out and the issue came back again a few weeks later. I finally realized one of the ferrules was damaged and was allowing the pump to suck in air. Was odd because it seemed to cut my rate in half. I replaced the ferrule and everything it working perfect! Now I know where to start if the issue happens again.

Did you get a 100 PSI pump? What exact pump model did you get?

I bought the 45MPHP10 Yes it is 100 PSI.

Edit: I have the Woods 50015WD Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Plug-In Time.

Currently my tank is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that screws on and off. Since I only have 10 bucks in the bucket I will upgrade if needed.

Right now I have 7 programs. 1 for each day. Was thinking that was over kill. I only seem to loose 1 to 2ppm with the cover on. 1-15 minute run time seems to be keeping it okay. Time will tell once we open it up and use the pool.

I have my count down timer set to 15 min also.

Hello all - I am going to be a new pool owner - pool is under construction (in ground pool - gunite)- my PB is completely against SWCG (says he will install if I force him too but he will revoke some warranties) - so I came upon this thread about Stenner pumps - I am a complete newbie and not handy at all - below is the list of equipment being installed - can someone please guide me what I should tell my PB to install (EconT / 45 MPHP 10) - would like something that has a timer - meaning a total kit and where it has to be installed (I don't think my PB had ever installed a Stenner)....if my request sounds vague or stupid please excuse me :) as I said I am not a handy person and I have been trying to read a lot on this website (most of it goes over my head)....thank you!!

Pool area - 493 sq ft - approx 17,000 gallons

EQUIPMENT
ControlEasytouch Pool 4PIncluded
RemoteScreenlogicIncluded
GFCI20A GFCIIncluded
Pool Pump2HPReplace3 HP VS Intelliflo with automatic Valve Shutdown
Waterfall PumpShare with PoolIncluded
FilterFNS DE 60Included
Cleaner Pump.75 HP BoosterIncluded
CleanerRacer LSIncluded
Sanitizer 1Inline ChlorinatorIncluded
Water Sheers3x12"Included
Pool Light3 Color LEDIncluded
Transformer300 WIncluded
PlasterBlue SurfIncluded
Additional Slabn/an/a
Lube Free Valvesn/an/a$250 extra
Screen Logicadd

There is not one definite way to do it.

If you’re putting in Easytouch automation you should be able to use that for your timer - so probably no need for the EconT.

As far as the size goes, figure your pool will go through about 2 ppm a day of chlorine on average. Some days more and some less. How long you need to pump the Stenner depends on the Stenner size (given as gallons per day) and also how strong is the chlorine you pump.

For reference, on my 24K Gallon pool I run my 3 GPD stenner for about 3 hrs with 12.5% chlorine. I use a mechanical timer that isn’t very precise. If I was using one which I could adjust easier I probably would switch to a 10 GPD Stenner size.

The Stenner should inject Chlorine into the return line just before going to the pool. Dont put the chlorine into the pump, filter, heater etc.

Poolmath calculator can help you figure out your own needs as far as size.

Thank you all for replying - if you were to advise which Stenner pump model should I buy?

It depends on what you want it to do in terms of flow rate, timer and power supply. We cant just tell you the one to get.

if you want the built in timer, go with the EconT. If not the 45 series should work. Exactly what size depends on your specific pool so you’ve gotta do a little math. Also fixed rate or variable - there are pros and cons to both. I went with fixed bc it just seemed like a simpler machine and i read that variable makes clicking noise. You've also got to know what power supply you've got available because these come in models for both 120 and 240V.

hope that helps

I have the 85MHP17 only because I found it on craigslist for $50. It has the variable rate head but I have it set to max so it basically runs like a fixed rate. This pump gets me 1.6oz per minute. It is probably overkill for what I need but it was cheap. I have not had any issues with it so far. WIth this size pump I only run it a total of 40 minutes per day to get my needed 1/2 gallon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.