Stenner Cover

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hi folks

Looking for some help from the team here. I have a Stenner Pump with 15 gallon tank. I’m looking to cover the tank to shield it from direct sun, as I believe the intense heat outside is causing undue degradation of the chlorine (I’m in Phoenix).

Im considering 2 different options to cover the tank (unless someone has a better idea).

1. Using a trash can. Stenner tank would simply be placed inside of s plastic Rubbermaid can. May drill a few ventilation holes in this setup.

2. Using a bbq grill cover. Weber makes a round cover for the classic 22” Weber, which would fit perfectly. Since the cover fits a bit loose, additional ventilation may not be needed.

Im tempted to get the Weber cover since it is a bit more user friendly. I believe the heat wouldn’t build up quite as much also as the cover supposedly “breathes”. My concern though is about flammability. I’ve heard chlorine can become flammable if it comes into contact with certain materials. Is this a concern, or incorrect? Any thoughts or suggestions on covers is appreciated!
:D

The previous owner of our house told me their inline tablet chlorine feeder blew up once. Imagine it was from the accumulation of chlorine gas and the pool motor providing the ignition spark. Said it sounded like a bomb. He was in the military, so I expect he had knowledge of what a bomb sounds like. No damage to the pool equipment, except the chlorine feeder and he just replaced it.

Whatever you decide to use to shade the Stenner, lots of venting would be most desirable.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up using a BBQ cover for the Stenner since it was cheap and easy to remove. After some research, I'm no longer concerned about it catching fire due to a chemical reaction. However, your points about ventilation seem very valid. I really don't want to start cutting holes in a new cover, but that may be what I need to do. :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.