Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Hello all, I‘ve just found this forum and am slightly overwhelmed with all the info. I’m currently looking at a drained pool that will be acid washed tomorrow. Long story short, the pool hasn’t been drained in over 10 years and is moderately stained due to the heater. Here in Vegas we have pretty hard water. Now that we’re the owners, my plan is to get this pool in tip top shape and really stay on top of the cleaning and chemicals. We’ve just taken out the old (and VERY noisy) pump and installed a variable one. We also just ordered a Dolphin robot to help with the cleaning. Pool is about 34,000 gallons plus a large spa.

My question is this...after we have the pool refilled, should I take the water to a local store and have it tested? At that point, I’m guessing I’ll be able to formulate a plan for maintenance. Is there anything I can initially add to help cut down on the metal (copper) staining or is that something that will be mitigated with proper cleaning and Balance? Anything else I should be sure to do while the pool is drained or initially after refilling?

Thank you for your patience with this newbie! I’m definitely here to learn.

Welcome to the forum!
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols. Pool store testing is not accurate or repeatable.
I want to be sure you understand that acid washing a pools plaster surface damages it, forever. It drastically lowers its lifespan.
You will need liquid chlorine, stabilizer, and muriatic acid when you refill the pool. Until you get your test kit, I would suggest buying a cheap pH/TC test kit at Home Depot or Walmart. That will let you get by for the first few days until your new kit arrives.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Definitely understand the severity of even a light acid wash. The pool was built in 1994 and the previous (and only other) owner said that it was done once back in 2004 or 2005. Our plan is to start saving to have it replastered when that becomes necessary, but are hoping to get another 5 years of life out of it. When inspecting this morning, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious damage (pitting, roughness or cracking).

Definitely understand the severity of even a light acid wash.
Good that you know. It might last 5 years, or might not.
I assume the reason you wish to acid wash is the copper stains, correct? It may get rid of most of them.
I assume this pool had been maintained using trichlor and thus the pH dropped to very low and that dissolved the heater core.

In our area, your choice is liquid chlorine added DAILY, or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator for chlorinating your pool..

Good that you know. It might last 5 years, or might not.
I assume the reason you wish to acid wash is the copper stains, correct? It may get rid of most of them.
I assume this pool had been maintained using trichlor and thus the pH dropped to very low and that dissolved the heater core.

In our area, your choice is liquid chlorine added DAILY, or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator for chlorinating your pool..
It’s probably a good 15+ years of staining, so we definitely have reasonable expectations. Chlorine added daily seems very intense, but if that’s what is required to keep the staining at bay...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.