Starting with a fresh fill, advice please

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
Hello! Starting with a fresh fill following a waterline retile in October 2019. Pool was filled but not treated, then closed. Reopened today. Typically I start in the spring with a pool that just needs a SLAM and a little tweaking, then I'm good for the summer. However, this time I'm starting with some numbers I'm not as accustomed to fixing.
I'm testing with a fresh TF100 test kit. 30000 gal plaster pool, SWG (SWG off now)
My tap water: pH 7.5, TA 320, CH 60
Pool company added: 10# pH down, 4x1gal 12% Cl, 6# CYA, 7x40# bags salt.
Water circulated 6 hours, then I tested:
Cl 11.5, cc .5, pH 7.8, TA 270, CH 70, salt 1200, CYA 15 (estimate) water looks quite clear. water temp 58
questions:
1. I'm worried about the CH being so low, but I'm pretty sure SLAM and TA need doing before I address the CH. Particularly because I think (?) calcium can precipitate out if you add it when TA is so high? Do I need to worry about that?
2. Is my plan for bringing this all in line correct?
plan:
- let Chlorine drift down below 10 so I can get an accurate pH
-lower pH with MA to 7.4, aerate back up to 7.8, repeat until TA reasonable (?150)
-get CYA to 30
-SLAM
-get CYA & Cl set for the season
-add calcium hardness increaser, 1/3 at a time, to get CH to 250
-adjust salt for swg
3. does the water flow through the return jets to the pool add enough aeration to increase the pH? I don't have a fountain or other water feature to aerate the pool. I haven't had such a high TA in years so I've forgotten how to lower it.

Sorry if I've left out any details. TIA for the help

Disregard CH until you adjust your other chemistry.......there is no rush. Read the special instructions on the TA test with a brand new kit. For a couple of weeks, it will read too high. Wipe the dropper tip in between each drop and allow the drops to FALL on the end of the squeeze bottle. Report that result.

Take this ONE STEP at a time. You are not in bad shape at all.......I think a retest on CYA and TA would be the first step.

There is likely NO NEED to SLAM your pool. Water is clear, right?

Water looks perfect. May not need to SLAM after all!
I slowed the TA test way down, as suggested. I guess I thought I didn’t need to read the directions lol.

today’s test:
pH 7.5
TA 230
Cl 8.0. Haven’t added since yesterday.
Cc .5
CYA 25

I didn’t realize the time frame on bringing the CH up was not a rush.
I’ll plan on doing an overnight test fairly soon and see how we do, and I’ll bring the CH up later.
Thanks & stay well.

Put your city and state in your location.....it's important in the advice we give.

Those numbers are pretty good for now. Your pH will surely slowly rise. When you bring it down with muriatic acid, the TA will come down slowly, too.

Bring up your CYA level to 60 for Central illinois. Maybe up to 80 in the middle of summer but no rush.

As long as your water stays crystal clear, there is no reason for an OCLT, either.

Reactions: tltmom
today’s test:
pH 7.5
TA 230
Cl 8.0. Haven’t added since yesterday.
Cc .5
CYA 25

Looks good.

Your CYA is 30. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we round up and call it 30. No ones test ever aligns perfectly with the line. All of our guidance with CYA is in round numbers.

Reactions: tltmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.