Starting up with salt

Smyc305

Jul 8, 2022
Miami
Hey guys, I was told by my pool builder that after 30 days I can go ahead and add salt.

Is there anything in specific that I should do in regards to starting it up? The pool builder is lazy and doesn’t respond to any messages in regards to any questions as in how to start it up.

Thanks in advanced

Measure your salt level first before adding salt. Creep up on your salt target; it's easy to add more salt but you must drain to reduce it. The K-1766 is the test kit.

Use pure salt with no additives. I personally use Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals.

Make sure your SWG is off before adding salt. Let it mix at least 24 hours before turning the SWG on.

Fill out your signature when you have a minute.

Measure your salt level first before adding salt. Creep up on your salt target; it's easy to add more salt but you must drain to reduce it. The K-1766 is the test kit.

Use pure salt with no additives. I personally use Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals.

Make sure your SWG is off before adding salt. Let it mix at least 24 hours before turning the SWG on.

Fill out your signature when you have a minute.
Ok sweet, and what do you mean by creep up? I was doing the calculations on pool math and it was telling me i need to add 594 lbs of salt, according to my last readings.

Is it suggested to add the entire amount at once? or do it day by day?

Wow that is a lot of salt but my pool is much smaller hehe. Did you enter your min, max, target under settings according to what your SWG manual says the range it needs? It had been suggested to me to start with 10# of salt per 1000 gallons of water…which would be 200lbs for you. Then measure the salt with the Taylor K-1766 after it has mixed for 24 hours. Add more if needed to meet the needs of your SWG. But always remember to have your SWG off for 24 hours when you add salt.

Wow that is a lot of salt but my pool is much smaller hehe. Did you enter your min, max, target under settings according to what your SWG manual says the range it needs? It had been suggested to me to start with 10# of salt per 1000 gallons of water…which would be 200lbs for you. Then measure the salt with the Taylor K-1766 after it has mixed for 24 hours. Add more if needed to meet the needs of your SWG. But always remember to have your SWG off for 24 hours when you add salt.
really? thats why i was asking lmao! i have the target salt set for 3500. i dont know if thats the ideal level?

Remember you probably already have some amount of salt in your pool - so don’t assume it’s starting at 0. Mine was at 700 at salt startup.

Add less than you think you need then test again after 3–4 hours. Then add more if needed. It’s easier to add more than remove if you added too much :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check your owners manual but I remember the target is 3000ppm to a max of 3500ppm salt from sodium chloride, NaCl. Test your current salt level and adjust prior to adding more. Approach target in stages to not exceed.

Add less than you think you need then test again after 3–4 hours. Then add more if needed. It’s easier to add more than remove if you added too much :)
I’d recommend even more time; a couple of days. It can take some time for salt to properly mix.
It’s also very easy to be wrong about pool size, so going slow and steady is well worth the time.

Reactions: MichaelT20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.