GoDawgs813

Oct 7, 2020
Brandon, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After a long wait, it looks like we are making progress on obtaining our permits! Hillsborough county is currently 6-8 weeks. We signed contract end of July.

I'd like to get some opinions on equipment and pool features prior to our pre-construction meeting in a few weeks so here goes..
-34'x16' Pool 3'-5' depth with 12'x7' Sun shelf and 8'x7' Spa with spill over
-6 returns, 2 skimmer in pool and 1 return, 6 therapy jets in spa.
-2" Jet line, 2.5" Main drain line, 2" Spill over line
-Gunite with #3 Rebar, grade 40 3/8"
-2 bubblers and 1 umbrella holder on swim out
-2k sqft Ivory Shellock decking, including under lanai and sidewalk in a diamond hopscotch pattern, with 12"x24" shellock coping, 315sqft raised deck around back of spa and pool, faced with split face travertine.
-2 columns faced with spilt face travertine with scuppers and 29" Slick Rock fire bowls - match lit, Denim color, black glass media
-2 6' swim outs, benches on either side of columns.
-Stonescapes mini pebble Tahoe Blue
-Glass tile 1x2 Equinox midnight blue -waterline, pool and spa
-Glass tile 1x1 Light waves blue - spa spill over
-No Screen lanai
-Child safety fence

Equipment -
-Pentair Intelliflow VSF 3hp
-Pentair Clean and Clear 320 Sqft cartridge filter
-Pentair Master Temp Gas heater 400 BTU
-Pentair EasyTouch and Pentair ScreenLogic
-6 Pentair Globrite in pool
-2 Pentair Globrite in Spa
-1 HP blower for spa
-Ozone
-Chemical controller with 2 pumps for chlorine and acid(unsure of brand?) assuming Pentair.
Added 2nd Pentair 1.5 VS pump with valves to control all of the water features

Last edited:
We're in Brandon so permit is issued by the County. City of Tampa and other municipalities may have their own permitting and is usually not as lengthy as the county. Ours was actually just issued today!

We had a friend in the business tell us in September that there were currently 19,000 active or pending pool permits in Hillsborough alone!

• Wow
Reactions: TampaKathy
Ugh, Hillsborough, that's where I am too so I guess I should prepare myself for long waits! Are you going to have an overflow pipe?
I am not sure about the overflow pipe, I'll have to ask. I did notice no autofill? Not sure if that is common here with all of the rain we get.
As for the permit, our paper work was dropped off on August 12th and looks like permits were issued today. This website has been helpful tracking the progress.

I am not sure about the overflow pipe, I'll have to ask. I did notice no autofill? Not sure if that is common here with all of the rain we get.
As for the permit, our paper work was dropped off on August 12th and looks like permits were issued today. This website has been helpful tracking the progress.
I had the same question on my own post about autofill. Couple people said it's not needed in FL but I'm going to get it anyway b/c I like having the option...it will be between $250 and $500 to add depending on which PB I go with. I'm actually in Lutz (the Hillsborough County portion)...the permit site is very helpful.

Thanks, looks like for me it is the city of Tampa not the county who will issue the permit.

I added an overflow because in the summer we get so much rain at times. I didn't want to have to hook up a hose etc, also if on vacation for a week I don't want to have to worry about the pool overflowing.

We're in Brandon so permit is issued by the County. City of Tampa and other municipalities may have their own permitting and is usually not as lengthy as the county. Ours was actually just issued today!

We had a friend in the business tell us in September that there were currently 19,000 active or pending pool permits in Hillsborough alone!
Yes we are Lutz & going through the county, our PB said he has never seen so many people building pools in all his 30 years in the business! It’s crazy our neighborhood alone is getting a ton of new pools built since March

After a long wait, it looks like we are making progress on obtaining our permits! Hillsborough county is currently 6-8 weeks. We signed contract end of July.

I'd like to get some opinions on equipment and pool features prior to our pre-construction meeting in a few weeks so here goes..
-2k sqft Ivory Shellock decking, including under lanai and sidewalk in a diamond hopscotch pattern, with 12"x24" shellock coping, 315sqft raised deck around back of spa and pool, faced with split face travertine.
-2 columns faced with spilt face travertine with scuppers and 29" Slick Rock fire bowls - match lit, Denim color, black glass media
-No Screen lanai
-Child safety fence

Equipment -
-1 HP blower for spa
-Ozone
-Chemical controller with 2 pumps for chlorine and acid(unsure of brand?) assuming Pentair.

-Option for 2nd pump to control water features and or spa separate from main pump, or control with valves. Looking for input on this!

See attached for design construction plan.
I think 3 feet is too shallow for the shallow end. You won't be able to swim without hitting the bottom.
I also recommend an auto drain. Our pool is about a year and a half old, and I wish we had done that.

Reactions: usfbull

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

-No Screen lanai
-Child safety fence

Equipment -
-1 HP blower for spa
-Ozone

-Option for 2nd pump to control water features and or spa separate from main pump, or control with valves. Looking for input on this!

See attached for design construction plan.
Are you not using a SWCG?
I was able to get my PB to bump up to the 420 sq FT filter and my pool is smaller at 15x27. We will have a pool cage and everyone here still said get largest filter you can afford. The larger the less often you will need to clean.
Everyone on here seems to say forget the ozone.
I agree with poolgrandma in that 3' is very shallow. We started at 3.5' and are ending at 5.5'. Our pool will be 27' long and the first 19' is between 3.5' to 4.5' then drops for a small deeper end.

Which Easy Touch is it? Experts on here say not to get the "lite" version...I believe it has an "L" in the model number. The other options are 4-function or 8-function. Is there a deck drain? I don't know if 1 pump is enough to run the pool, spa and water features...I'm still learning but maybe you can ask the PB to explain what can be run at the same time and pluses and minuses of only having 1.

I think 3 feet is too shallow for the shallow end. You won't be able to swim without hitting the bottom.
I also recommend an auto drain. Our pool is about a year and a half old, and I wish we had done that.
We went back and forth over the shallow end depth, but having two young kids we decided to stick with 3'. We don't plan on swimming laps, and most of the 3' pools we have been in seemed good for the mixed use plan of the pool. I do believe we slope pretty quickly to the 4' depth which is the majority of the pool.
We did verify yesterday that there will be an auto drain but no auto fill.

Are you not using a SWCG?
I was able to get my PB to bump up to the 420 sq FT filter and my pool is smaller at 15x27. We will have a pool cage and everyone here still said get largest filter you can afford. The larger the less often you will need to clean.
Everyone on here seems to say forget the ozone.
We are using an auto dispenser for the chemicals so it will use Chlorine and acid and supposedly maintain neutral PH. Supposedly the Ozone works well pairing with this? I have heard mixed reviews on the ozone, this is what i was hoping for feed back on! With the size of the pool, no screen, and frequent use with kids, our builder recommended this over the SWCG as it keeps the pool in balance much better and recovers quicker when it does get out of balance? Again, no experience with either, just going off the builders recommendations.
I will have to ask about the cartridge filter sizing and the logic behind choosing one. Thank you for that advice!

Which Easy Touch is it? Experts on here say not to get the "lite" version...I believe it has an "L" in the model number. The other options are 4-function or 8-function. Is there a deck drain? I don't know if 1 pump is enough to run the pool, spa and water features...I'm still learning but maybe you can ask the PB to explain what can be run at the same time and pluses and minuses of only having 1.
It was the 4 function Easy Touch but after a call yesterday with the PB, the option for the auto chemical dispenser comes with Pentair Intellicenter which takes the place of the easy touch and screen logic pieces?
You are right about the pump, we will have a 2nd pump for the water features and Spa vs multiple valves. We added two deck jets adjacent the sunshelf and they suggested the 2nd pump.

Well we have a hole and rebar, plumbing roughed in and inspection passed Monday. Just waiting on gunite!

Only mishap was some unknown irrigation lines running across the spa that were still active that the excavator found on the first few digs. Spent Saturday morning rerouting them with plenty of room around the outside of the soon to be deck.

poolhole.JPG

Well we have a hole and rebar, plumbing roughed in and inspection passed Monday. Just waiting on gunite!

Only mishap was some unknown irrigation lines running across the spa that were still active that the excavator found on the first few digs. Spent Saturday morning rerouting them with plenty of room around the outside of the soon to be deck.

View attachment 167921
Hi GoDawgs813,
Your pool specs and features look great. I’m also in the process of building a pool at home, but I’m going the owner builder route. Are you able to PM the contact info of your excavation and rebar guys? Please let me know if you can share any I do you have from any subs that come by. I’m supposed to get my permits approved this week and I’m still struggling to collect some quality bids from local subs. I’m even willing to drive by your house and talk to them myself, I’d you don’t mind of course. Pleaae let me know either way, thanks!

I purchased both the ozone and UV setup from my PB. I did not do my research ahead of time. My only thought was "oh, its an additional level of sanitation for the water." Which I won't argue, that both technologies have the ability to sanitize, but how can you quantify if all of the water in the pool, comes in contact with them? I ripped the ozone out fairly quickly, once I realized it is plumbed to the suction side of the pump and is a constant air leak. The UV went away shortly after to make room for the IntellipH acid dosing system. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure my chlorine usage went down after I removed the UV.

--Jeff

Hi GoDawgs813,
Your pool specs and features look great. I’m also in the process of building a pool at home, but I’m going the owner builder route. Are you able to PM the contact info of your excavation and rebar guys? Please let me know if you can share any I do you have from any subs that come by. I’m supposed to get my permits approved this week and I’m still struggling to collect some quality bids from local subs. I’m even willing to drive by your house and talk to them myself, I’d you don’t mind of course. Pleaae let me know either way, thanks!

They are supposed to be back out this week to clean up what fell in thanks to Tropical Storm Eta dumping 10" of rain last week. What a mess! Good news is we're supposed to get gunite this week as well. They were great, and from talking to them it sounds like they stay pretty busy!
pdig.jpgpdig1.jpg

Thank you for the feedback on the Ozone, I guess we'll see how it goes and I'll be sure to come back with my experience after some time with the system. The reviews seem to be the same as reviews on PB's that we read before we started getting quotes, most are great or terrible. LOL

Hopefully I can update the thread soon with pool shell!

Reactions: TampaKathy
Well after almost 6 weeks of staring at dirt and rebar, we finally had a Gunite crew show up yesterday. What a process! After an hour of setup it was non-stop for almost 7 hours and 4 different material trucks brining in Gunite. I was initially alarmed with the hole in the bottom, but PM informed me it was for ground water which is a concern in our area. It will get filled before plaster. Hoping to have pre-grade and plumbing done before Christmas so they can move to tile and coping around the first of the year. Time to start watering!!
gunite3.jpggunite2.jpggunite4.jpggunite1.jpggunite5.jpggunite6.jpg

Well after almost 6 weeks of staring at dirt and rebar, we finally had a Gunite crew show up yesterday. What a process! After an hour of setup it was non-stop for almost 7 hours and 4 different material trucks brining in Gunite. I was initially alarmed with the hole in the bottom, but PM informed me it was for ground water which is a concern in our area. It will get filled before plaster. Hoping to have pre-grade and plumbing done before Christmas so they can move to tile and coping around the first of the year. Time to start watering!!
View attachment 170406View attachment 170407View attachment 170408View attachment 170409View attachment 170410View attachment 170411
So exciting!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.