Starting pumps for the first time and need to SLAM

Jun 10, 2016
Farmington KY
Hi folks! It's been a while since I've been on here...we made it through a KY winter without a cover on our inground pool. (still waiting for concrete for our decking!) Least to say, we are ready to get the pumps running and water chemistry figured out. We have done this pool all DIY, except for the electric and soon to be concrete deck.
I'm a little overwhelmed. Our pool is green, we have leaves, bug and frogs in it. We are putting the sand in the filter this week. Is there any link on advice on how to start up our pump/filter/cleaner and then SLAM the pool? I do have the TFP 100 kit. I'm wondering if we just need to bite the bullet and pay someone to come help. Is this doable for first time diy pool owners?!?
Thanks! Vanessa

It's definitely doable. Get your filter filled, make sure plumbing valves are open and get water circulating. Add bleach, enough to get 3-4 fc to begin with, and do a full s t of tests. Adjust ph if need d to 7.2. Start adding bl ache to get to slam levels based on cya and est. maintain fc at slam level until clear, cc<0.5, and you pass oclt. Then worry about other balances if needed
If your cya is 0, you can add just enough to get to 30. Don't go higher until after slam, and then only if you need to

If you do not have one, get a STURDY, LARGE leaf net and scoop all the solid stuff out of the pool. TFTestkits has a couple of good ones TFTestkits.net

Once the pool is clear of physical debris (all you can get, anyway), then it's time to follow the procedure above

Thanks for the advice! We have the pump and filter going, and our robot cleaner in the pool. Can I get some help on the SLAM chemicals? TIA! Below are my tests from this morning:
40,000 gallon vinyl inground
Now
Goal
FC
4.5 ppm
pH
TA
CH
50 ppm
Cya
CC
1 ppm
?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.