Starting procedures for new pool, new pool owner

V&T_ATX Pool

Jul 27, 2020
Austin, TX
We're proud new owners of an Intex AGP 18x9x52 and have recently completed the set-up and first fill with city water. We couldn't have done it without TFP!! I've done an immense amount of reading of the entire Pool School material and lots of forum dialogues so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what we need to do next, but would love some feedback. Full disclosure, I haven't gotten into the PoolMath app yet, so could use quantity advice for sure.

I did get the TF-100 test kit and we tested the water yesterday evening. Here are the stats:
Free Chlorine - .5ppm
Combined Chloramine - 1ppm
Total Chlorine - 1.5ppm
Calcium - 75ppm
Ph 8.2
TA - 50
CYA - 0

I'm headed to Home Depot or Walmart where I can get the liquid chlorine we obviously need. Walmart also have stabilizer in the form of this: Clorox Pool & Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, Balance - 4lb. (This from a Google search for cyanuric acid). Is this OK?

Any further help on quantities needed for our size pool would be appreciated. I've read the TFP instructions for adding both chemicals.

Anything else I should know or do? All help is most sincerely appreciated since this is our first pool experience!

Welcome fellow Texan. The articles on TFP are invaluable to understanding how to manage and enjoy your pool. I would highly encourage you to download PoolMath PoolMath and insert your specific pool specifications as well as your first test results. This will then tell you how much to add of each. It will also take into account the strength of the liquid chlorine as that will affect the total quantity you need to add.

We're proud new owners of an Intex AGP 18x9x52 and have recently completed the set-up and first fill with city water. We couldn't have done it without TFP!! I've done an immense amount of reading of the entire Pool School material and lots of forum dialogues so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what we need to do next, but would love some feedback. Full disclosure, I haven't gotten into the PoolMath app yet, so could use quantity advice for sure.

I did get the TF-100 test kit and we tested the water yesterday evening. Here are the stats:
Free Chlorine - .5ppm
Total Chlorine - 1.5ppm
Calcium - 75ppm
Ph 8.2
TA - 50
CYA - 0

I'm headed to Home Depot or Walmart where I can get the liquid chlorine we obviously need. Walmart also have stabilizer in the form of this: Clorox Pool & Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, Balance - 4lb. (This from a Google search for cyanuric acid). Is this OK?

Any further help on quantities needed for our size pool would be appreciated. I've read the TFP instructions for adding both chemicals.

Anything else I should know or do? All help is most sincerely appreciated since this is our first pool experience!
That’s the cya I use, put it in a sock by the return and squeeze it. Yeah just dump some chlorine bleach in there using pool math...good to go. Bring pH down with muriatic acid (HCl).

Free Chlorine - .5ppm
Total Chlorine - 1.5ppm
Calcium - 75ppm
Ph 8.2
TA - 50
CYA - 0

The Chlorox stabilizer is OK, but you only want to add about 18-19 ounces of it in a pool your size. So that's going to be just over 1/4 of the 4lb bag. Doesn't have to be exact, just don't go crazy.

Add the stabilizer to a sock and try to hang it over the return so the water flows over it. Give it a squeeze periodically and it will dissolve.

The stabilizer is also likely to lower your PH a bit, so wait before adjusting that. Re-test the PH once the stabilizer is dissolved, it will likely be in the high 7's and may stay there for some time comfortably with a TA of 50.

And get the chlorine in there pronto. If you add the amount of CYA I suggested, that will be around 30, so you'll want to target 4-6ppm of Chlorine. 36 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine will get you to 6.

Otherwise looks good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.