Continuing new BBQ/Kitchen Island build

So the front and sides are 99% done. Thank goodness - it was hot here in Virginia. I also tested out my food warmer. A lot of folks had recommended a build-in food warming drawer. But I had already built out my island. I may get a warming tray for phase III but for now this counter top version seems to work well. Holds 4 full sized catering pans.IMG_0720.jpgIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0664.JPG

That looks great! I'm curious how you finished out the cover on your pool pole storage area. I thought that was a great idea! Any pics of that?

And I may have missed it, but did you discuss the cabinets you used under your sink countertop? Curious what those are.

Thanks,

--Jeff

That looks great! I'm curious how you finished out the cover on your pool pole storage area. I thought that was a great idea! Any pics of that?

And I may have missed it, but did you discuss the cabinets you used under your sink countertop? Curious what those are.

Thanks,

--Jeff
I still have to do the stones on the inside portion of the island where the access doors are - I think they are 17 inch from BBQGUYS. I really can't wait for that part because THEN I can put the handles on and take the protective covering off the doors and actually have some storage space that is functional! But I am sooo happy to have lots of prep space for the grill and smoker at this point - no more balancing on whatever flat surface might be available and out of canine range. I have a few ideas for the pool pole cover, but that is likely a few weekends away from being done - will post update when that is completed.

Thanks,

--Jeff
Sorry I didn't see your question about cabinets. The wife ordered them from Home Depot - they are plastic or polywood so - used composite shims to level them. Still have to get around to putting the handles on them.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Slow progress, but progress none the less. Saturday was all rain. Sunday I spent getting all the inner stone work done so I could FINALLY mount the doors!!!! Now I can use the storage space inside the island. Next week will need to do the tile backsplash.
EDIT - after seeing some discussions and photos on another forum, I'll be adding type K fire extinguishers and fire blankets to my safety gear in the kitchen area. Grease fires can be bad, and the fire fighters told the posters who had a close call that they needed the K type extinguishers (I need to research a little more between the type K wet extinguishers and the purple K which is a dry powder). IMG_0860.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladius Nova
I need to do a little more research - I think I need a type K fire extinguisher - not the purple K.

Thanks... Now I've spent 30 minutes on Google and messaging a fire protection buddy about this! 😜

Looks like Purple K is the name of a dry chem used in class B extinguishers. A class K extinguisher is a wet chem extinguisher.

One of the articles I found about extinguishers in the home suggested that class K extinguishers weren't necessary as they are for extreme amounts of cooking oils/grease, as would be found in a commercial kitchen. It indicated that a class B extinguisher should be effective at snuffing a small class K fire. However, I am not so sure I would agree with not placing the appropriate type, regardless of residential vs. commercial. I am not sure how small of a class K extinguisher you can get, and that might be the driving factor behind that comment.

Another article mentioned making sure the hood suppression system had been discharged prior to the use of the class K extinguisher. Not sure if that is necessarily a requirement for proper extinguishing capability or not.

FWIW - My buddy, who does commercial fire safety inspections, indicated that type K extinguishers were generally not necessary for the size of fires in a home kitchen, as well. He mentioned that type K is generally for fires where large sources of flammable grease/oils are, such as commercial fryers using 2 gallons or more of oil. He also said he's never seen a 'small' type K extinguisher.

Kitchen is looking great! Thanks for the reply on the cabinets and the lesson on fire extinguishers!

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.